Doctor Who News Karen Gillan, Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill star in A Town Called Mercy

Published on September 15th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Marvellous Mercy!

A slam-dunking fine episode of Doctor Who has just finished – but what did you think?

As with previous weeks of Series 7, we’re asking you to let us know your immediate reaction to the episode by voting in our A Town Called Mercy poll. Was Adrian Scarborough effective as a modern-day Davros? Was Ben Browder under used?

Let us know in the poll below…

…and watch out for our review tomorrow, after which you can have your say!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Marvellous Mercy!

1. Warren Howarth says:

I have no idea why, but i felt the story lacked that ‘spark’ that AOTD and DOAS had. The acting was there and the chemistry between all the principal characters was as electric as ever….i just found myself wandering off at times.

I must be coming down with something, this is not like me at all.

• Dr Hula Hoop says:

I voted fell asleep because I was genuinely having a nap. Haven’t actually seen it.

• Steve says:

I agree. Found the Mercy townsfolk rather bland – didn’t care if they lived or died – very two-dimentional. Loved the location!! Also felt Rory and Amy were almost superfluous to the story.

2. Lord Darth Tyeler says:

I thought this one was the best of the season so far. It’s predictability didn’t make it any less enjoyable, while the script itself wasn’t blighted by some of the irritating silliness we get in the season ‘fillers’. I enjoyed every minute of it and it was great to see a menacing cyborg – clunking footsteps and all. The scenery was just right and Smith didn’t irritate me in the slightest – a very strong performance from him this time around. The supporting cast were brilliant too – none of the ham we sometimes get in these period stories, just nicely plausible characters, and, of course, the stand-out ‘Isaac’.

More like this please Mr Moff.

3. Lord Darth Tyeler says:

Oh, I see, it doubles up the forum posts! Oops.

4. Rick Lundeen says:

There’s a bit of a pattern developing. third ep of the season is a bit of a dog. “Mercy” was ok but just ok. Rather lame compared to the last two excellent eps.

5. Rob says:

The phrase that comes to mind with DW these days is “the whole is less than the sum of the parts”. Adrian Scarborough’s character and indeed the story was rather more suited to the Sarah Jane Adventures. Good performances and some good dialogue can’t disguise the flimsy nature of stories such as this.

• Re: “the whole is less than the sum of its parts” – YES. So much.

6. Matt says:

It was top notch, i thought. Nicely dark and contemplative after the coulourful fun and games of the last ep.

7. TonyS says:

Actually I thought this was the best episode so far this season. Asylum of the Daleks didn’t do it for me at all. Dinosaurs on a Spacehip was good but flawed. This was excellent. It wasn’t perfect but it was well written and acted. I am not sure that Rory would have reacted the way he did. He should not have been so prompt to throw Kahler Jex to the Gunslinger. But I suppose this was to highlight Amy’s and Isaac’s humanity.

8. You got a list of flickering bulbs, Spandex?

9. stlshawn says:

I thought it was fantastic episode. The dialogue was wonderful, the acting spectacular, a more character and dialogue driven story than we’ve seen so far. This one was a close watcher, one that would suck you in and be over before you knew it. It was missing some of the “whiz-bang” of other episodes, but the action was still there, and alternative (clouds of dust and splintered wood) action is actually a welcome change every now and again.

And what a story! What a fantastic story of (possible) redemption, (possible) humanity, (possible) hard questions and possible) answers. I found the main plot issue to be simply incredible. The question of “what is the right thing to do” kept going through my head. This episode took on some heavy questions, questions that cannot easily be answered. I’m sure i will find someone and we will have a drink talk over “what if’s” for quite a while with this one.

Fantastic,,,, really fantastic.

10. Leo says:

I’ll keep it simple.

Totally fantastic.Best so far of the series, which IMO, has been pretty wonderful.

11. James says:

The Dr waving guns in people’s faces? Terrible.

The borg-rip-off: why?

This was poor and really not worth wasting money filming.

Again, as with last week, what was the point of the Ponds? They do nothing. Just leave them on Earth to their boring lives already.

12. TonyS says:

I agree that the Doctor waving guns about is not a good thing. But this is the result of him spending too much time alone. And THAT is the point of the Ponds- especially Amy. Just as Donna made the Tenth Doctor that little bit less harsh, the Ponds stop the worst excesses of the Eleventh. I’m not sure that makes the Doctor a particularly likeable character at the moment though…

13. Connachtman says:

I was so excited about Ben Browder appearing in Doctor Who and sure he’d rip it up and get into some serious banter with the Doc, but not to be! To say that he was under-used would be an understatement! It was like they said, ‘we need a southern actor to play a Texan sheriff’ and someone went ‘let’s get Ben Browder, he’s good’, but then they failed to give him anything to work with! This was in my opinion the worst episode since the show reboot.

14. Amber says:

I really enjoyed this one. For me the predictable elements just made it more enjoyable- there are certain things that just have to happen if you’re having a western episode.

It was also refreshing not to have anyone going on about how sexy they are for once!