Doctor Who News It's time to say goodbye to Amy and Rory in The Angels Take Manhattan

Published on September 29th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Farewell, Amy and Rory!

Well wasn’t that a tear-jerker?

It’s the end of an era in Doctor Who, as Amy and Rory – first introduced in The Eleventh Hour back in 2010 – finally leave the TARDIS. As the longest running companions since the show’s 2005 return (and longest since Tegan left the TARDIS in 1984) they’ve seen Daleks, Cybermen, Silurians, Rory’s been converted into an alternative existence Auton, Amy was left behind to fend for herself for 40 years and… well, so much has happened we couldn’t recount it all here.

When all is said and done, they’ve had a great innings, we’ve learned more about the enigma of River Song and most importantly we’ve seen how Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have developed as actors since they first started shooting in mid 2009.

But what did you think of their departure? Did The Angels Take Manhattan thrill you, or did you feel that the concepts introduced were best left to a dedicated Weeping Angels episode?

Vote below to let us know!

We’ll be presenting the results of this poll next week, along with the results of all of our surveys on Doctor Who Series 7a…

Tags: , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Farewell, Amy and Rory!

1. Marcus says:

Hiya – can someone please explain to me how Rory manages to die at the ripe old age of 82, as an old man, when he survived 2000 years as a centurion? Isn’t he an auton? Have I forgotten something vital?
    Cheers

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

He was indeed an auton during those 2000 years but was brought back as a human during the second big bang!

2. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Very good episode. But when the hell are the makers going to grow some balls and actually KILL a companion??? Jeez, moffat was even on the ‘Making Of’ documentary for Earthshock singing praise for Adric’s surprise death! We were told Rose would die. She did not. We were told that a companion would die during The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End. They did not.

• Well they did die, in the sense that everybody dies.

3. Coppermop says:

I think I’ll need to see this another time or two to pick up all the finer points but I thought it gave the Ponds a good send off and it was interesting to see more of the Weeping Angels being devious and calculating. As for River, it may have been just my imagination but especially towards the end I got the impression that she knew more than she was saying. Perhaps she was able to visit her parents again even if the Doctor couldn’t.
    I never did think that anything too grisly would happen to the Ponds. Apart from anything else such an event would either make for a very gloomy Christmas episode or make the Doctor seem a bit heartless.
    One final thought – will we see more of Brian?

• DavidF says:

I hope we do see more of Brian, because a dramatic opportunity has been set up and it would be wasteful to see it squandered.

Brian told Amy and Rory to go with the Doctor, when they were all set to stay at home. Now he’ll never see them again. Both men would feel overwhelmed by guilt over that.

I suspect we won’t see Brian again, though, and the storylines will make a clean break from recent episodes.

• Jo says:

River definitely went to see her parents while they were living out their lives in the past – she got Amy to get her book published and also got Amy to write that afterword for the Doctor.

Best not to think too hard about the plot holes, really…

4. DavidF says:

Have you seen the Daily Mail headline?

“Heartbroken Doctor Who fans say goodbye to Amy Pond after she is killed at the hands of the weeping angels”

The Mail not only lies about politics, immigration and crime, but apparently also about the contents of fictional storylines that its readers are likely to already know about.

It’s such a misleading representation of the episode that they could have printed it a week ago and it wouldn’t even have counted as a spoiler!

5. Gavin Noble says:

They are lieing about me being heartbroken as well. I’m glad Amy has gone. Never a fan of her character. The episode itself was only okay – neither brilliant nor terrible.

6. jap00 says:

the story itself was excellent a wonderfull way for the ponds to go
    but i felt as with other stories in series 7 that it should have been a two parter it felt a bit short with not enough angel action. but probably the best of series 7 a/1.

7. bonobobananas says:

Well I really enjoyed that. Why isn’t this thread linked to the forum though Christian?

• Not sure, will sort it out now :)

8. bonobobananas says:

Ah Hula how I’ve missed your positivity :) Mind you Alex was starting to seriously show her age last night. I still would though.

I won’t be missing the Ponds either, they had outstayed their welcome from my viewpoint. Nice to see a decent send off though.

9. Leo says:

Decent enough but should have been a two parter. The Angel’s where fantastically nasty in this but didn’t get enough screen time.

Personally I have never found the Ponds engaging or sympathetic and I can honestly say that I wont miss them (and in particular the Doctor’s or should that be SM’s), your the bes-test and most special of all my companion’s-that would be since Donna then? Or the love that was Rose? Or the ‘first wife’ the legend that is SJS? Or the genuinely moving departure of Jo.Jamie? Susan?

10. Rick Lundeen says:

Great ep, great farewell to Amy and Rory. This has been easily the strongest opening to any season thus far.

11. stlshawn says:

wonderful. Really a wonderful episode.

Love the “shock” of the end. I truly did not see that one coming.

REally fantastic!

12. Nhoj says:

Well Bojay – I’m no ‘amusement park spectator’ – I’ve been watching the show all my life and remember the very first episode in 1963. As my life is longish I have witnessed tremendous changes in the ‘real’ world and in Doctor Who.

If you wish to discuss the big questions – I think (know) you will find most of the above individuals (posting in this thread) well up to the task

But be careful what you wish for (Here be Dragons) and is a Dr Who forum REALLY the place to discuss such things?

Regards