Doctor Who News Steven Moffat and Matt Smith on location in New York

Published on August 12th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds

Matt Smith: ‘Two More Years’ as the Doctor?

Steven Moffat and Matt Smith on location in New York

Matt Smith has confirmed what many fans had hoped; that he’ll be in piloting the TARDIS until at least 2014 – and he’s also described some of the concepts for Series 8 as ‘brilliant’.

Speaking to Digital Spy (via MTV News) Matt let slip that Steven Moffat has already divulged just what’s happening in the as yet unwritten episodes:

“It hasn’t been written yet but the idea is as brilliant and as mental as you’d expect from Steven. So there’s a lot to look forward to.”

Speaking of things to look forward to Matt has also spoke of the obligation all the Doctor Who crew feel towards making the fiftieth anniversary one to remember:

“We want to do 50 years — and everyone that’s been associated with the show — justice. We want to go, ‘Look, world, here is Doctor Who. It’s 50 years old, a science-fiction show, still going and going from strength to strength’.

Steven will do something brilliant. He’ll do something grand or maybe something very simple but he’ll come to it as a fan. He’ll go, ‘What would I want to see?’ “

Obviously with an end date in mind Matt was also in a reflective mood; commenting on his first few months in the role of the Doctor:

“For a month or two when I started I was like, ‘This is impossible. I can’t’ — just the pressure of it. Everyone was sort of going, ‘Go on, show us what you’ve got.’ I told myself, ‘If I can get through this I can get through anything’.”

Could it be true? Is Matt planning to bow out in 2014? Will this mean the end of an era with Steven Moffat also departing, or might The Grand Moff stay on longer?

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to Matt Smith: ‘Two More Years’ as the Doctor?

1. avatar James says:

Great news if Matt is staying on, I just hope Moffat isn’t.

2. avatar Drew says:

Would love to see Matt with a charismatic companion and without Moffat. never thought I’d ever get tired of Moffat and was super-excited when he was named show-runner, but I’m totally ready for someone else to give it a try.

3. avatar daniel says:

I am not so sure about 2014. The way that the recent DWM interview read was that the Moff had pitched the 2014 series in similar way that he had try to tempt David Tennant to stay another year.

The whole tone of that bit of DWM seemed like really though you are going he tried to tempt you

4. avatar castellanspandrel says:

As with Tennant, I’d like to see another showrunner’s take on the current Dr, so would like to see Matt Smith have at least one season under another head writer/producer. I like Doctors with rich and diverse eras!

5. Pingback: Matt Smith To Play Doctor Who For Two More Years | Doctor Who | News | MTV UK | John Hattaway

6. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

Lots of Moffat hate all of a sudden. He did have a spectacular first season, he’s the one who picked Matt Smith, the current Tardis console room, Amy, Rory, River and written some of the very best DW since the relaunch. So, after only a couple of problems in series 6, I’m not *quite* ready to throw him under the bus quite yet. True, things got a bit complicated last series but I think he’s learned from that. I think I’ll wait and see.

Also, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. When the Moff leaves, we have *no idea* who will come in and what we’ll get.

7. avatar Gary Morris says:

I hope Moff stays longer too. I love his work. I agree that series 6 wasn’t the best but I like it better than 4. We can take bets on who comes after shall we? Mark Gatiss? Toby Whithouse?

8. avatar Anthony says:

Lets not scapegoat the Moff just yet……I was the first to do this about 12 months ago, but having rewatched a lot of series 5 and 6 I now feel it wasn’t any better or worse than what had gone before. And Matt Smith is just glorious. So come on folks – its too easy to blame the Moff, and lets see YOU go and make 14 episodes of sci fi and see how YOU go. Lets reserve judgement until the 50th shall we?

9. avatar castellanspandrel says:

To clarify: I can’t speak for anyone else, but my post above was not meant to be anti-Moffat as such, merely pro-change at some point in the future!Dr Who thrives on change.

But if he goes, I would have Toby Whithouse in the job. He performed a similar role in Being Human very successfully.

10. avatar john says:

Moffat and Smith both need to go, like now-ish. And Moffat deserves a smack for the terrible new Tardis interior. Way to take all the fun and character out of the Tardis and make it look like it rolled off an assembly line in Detroit. W****r.

• Hey John. Thanks for posting. A few points.

1. Why do Moffat and Smith need to go? What’s your point? What’s your argument? What’s your actual opinion?
      2. What did Steven Moffat do to the TARDIS interior designed by Michael Pickwoad? Why on earth do you think it’s terrible? WHAT’S YOUR ARGUMENT?
      3. Don’t ever, EVER swear or launch insults at anyone on these comment boards again.