Doctor Who News Steven Moffat, writer of Doctor Who and Sherlock

Published on July 17th, 2012 | by Meredith Burdett

Sluttiest Titles Yet!

Brand new episodes of Doctor Who. It’s a sentence that we should not take for granted. The show’s been back for eight years now but every time the production team announce new titles and new adventures we should still be getting very excited.

Steven Moffat, writer of Doctor Who and SherlockSo, to give you some Doctor Who themed excitement and get you spreading the new to all of your friends, here are some episode titles for the new series from the first half of the 2012 run.

A Town Called Mercy. That’s the western episode that we’ve seen a lot of in the newest trailer. It’s a sexy title, it’s fun and it evokes western themes that we associate with films from that genre. But that’s not enough.

So, brace yourselves, another episode will be called Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. You read it right, that’s the name and it’s brilliant. Running from Steven Moffat’s game plan of “slutty titles”, this is one of the smuttiest, it’s sexy and it’s titillating -as if Asylum of the Daleks wasn’t bad enough! And it’s also a good point for Doctor Who to show that it can do dinosaurs brilliantly. Primeval, get ready to eat your heart out.

Dinosaurs On a Spaceship (love it!) will feature Mark Williams (The Fast Show and the Harry Potter films) as Rory’s dad and Sherlock star Rupert Graves. It’s going to be a proper time hopping adventure that culminates in the Doctor and his friends running from dinosaurs, which is just Saturday night perfection.

Steven Moffat commented:

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship – what more do you need?…We took one look at Chris Chibnall’s brilliant script and said to ourselves ‘We’re going to need a bigger corridor’.”

This new series just keeps getting better and better!

Doctor Who will return to BBC One very soon.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

20 Responses to Sluttiest Titles Yet!

1. Doc Whom says:

I hate to sound a killjoy but this is a bit Emperor’s New Clothes, isn’t it? Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is a brilliant idea, but a terrible title.

2. Doc Whom says:

Just think how much more we would have thrilled in childlike wonder to Classic Who if Moffat had been in charge of the titles.

“Stones of Blood would have been “Stones in a Field”

“Monster of Peladon” would have “Badgers in Mines”

“Image of the Fendahl” would have been “Cake Recipes with Granny”

“Logopolis” would have been “I Lost My Auntie in a Layby”

“Crusade” would have been “Let’s Kill Muslims”

“Pyramids of Mars” would have been “Seven Thousand Years Sitting on a Hand”

At least the last one would have been “slutty”.

• There is something a little “Cathy and Mark” about these titles, especially “I Lost My Auntie in a Layby”

Personally I’m all for interesting titles rather than slutty, but then the Grand Moff balances things out with interesting plots. You can’t have everything…

• Doc Whom says:

What’s “Cathy and Mark”?

P.S. I didn’t mind these little sums they make you complete before you can post when it was 2+2=?.

But they’ve just asked me to complete 9×9=? and I had to think hard for five minutes.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Five minutes? Seriously? Back to school for you i think!

• Doc Whom says:

Excuse me but it’s 38 years since I sat in a classroom intoning:

One nine is nine
            Two nines are eighteen
            Three nines are twenty-seven
            Four nines are thirty-six.

• Philip Bates says:

I feel your pain. Though I would say… calculator. ;)

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

erm… ok, indeed, a calculator.

Or maybe just 90 – 9 in your head? Probably quicker than typing it in to a calculator anyway! And surely it’s easy enough for even Mr Whom, who has apparently not done much basic arithmetic in the last 38 years. but bless him and his “one nine is nine, two nines are eighteen” etc! how very adorable that that method helps him. It’s very… good.

• Oh I don’t think discussing mathematical ability is really the place we want to take this discussion, is it…?

3. Jason Ward says:

Stones of Blood would be Monsters of Rock.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship sounds a bit throwaway, like it’s just going to be a bit of a laugh. Fine if it’s properly funny. Also like the first Target books – the kiddies won’t understand Silurians, so we’ll put Cave Monsters, etc. Looking forward to the days when we can dumb up again.

4. daniel says:

The Eleventh Hour would have been F*** me, Karen Gillans hot in a police uniform.

5. MrBill says:

So long as “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” is absolutely nothing like “Snakes on a Plane” (what a horrible freaking movie)….

Just saying…..

6. Cerys says:

Doctor Who has been back on air seven years and not eight. March 2005

7. TonyS says:

Why can’t we have good plots AND good titles? Though “Badgers in Mines” does sound good.

8. CastellanSpandrel says:

“This new series just keeps getting better and better.” But it hasn’t been on yet! Feels like I’m being pestered by a holiday camp yellow-coat: “But it’s fun! it’s great! You’ll love it!” as I water-raft into oblivion singing *that* song from Grease.

Sorry, MB, I’m just not a squee-er. I think it’ll turn out to be decent, though.

9. CastellanSpandrel says:

In principle, I don’t think the ‘slutty’ titles are a bad idea, as I find it hard to get enthused about titles like The Smugglers, Meglos, Kinda, etc.

• If it’s true that one of the later episodes is entitled ‘Cubed’, then that’s DEFINITELY not a sexy title!

Depends what you’re into… ;)

10. Leo says:

I’m more conservative and loved the day’s of The X of Y or Terror of the X or The X Y.

One of things I didn’t like about JNT tenure at the helm was so many crap titles-boring ones really-Frontios et al-and especially Dalek one’s that bore little in some-way’s to the actual plot-although they did use the X of Y.

All for a bit of fun, but sometimes slutty can read ‘trying to be clever and pretentious’or is that just me? Alternatively it could also be ‘keeping the kiddies entertained’. I also keeping thinking that this could have been the title of an episode of ‘Barney- the Friendly Dinosaur’.

Still if its a good episode then it shouldn’t really matter,

11. TonyS says:

Judging an episode by its title? Not sure we’re recommended to do that. But really- “Dinosaurs on a Space Ship”?

12. CastellanSpandrel says:

‘Earthshock’ should’ve been called ‘A Spaceship On Dinosaurs.’

I thank yew!