Doctor Who News The time travellers narrowly escape their first adventure in 100,000 BC

Published on June 6th, 2012 | by Scott Varnham

Introducing the Wife to Time and Space?

One plucky fan has decided to take a step towards changing that by roping in his wife to a series-spanning rewatch of every episode in order, in an effort to show her why he loves it so much. Neil Perryman, the fan in question, has set up a site to chronicle her reactions to every episode (all the episodes are grouped under one serial) and to just generally take her through his adventures in time and space.

I envy him. If I had a wife I’d probably watch Doctor Who alone in my study, with a glass of brandy in one hand and a belt in the other.

Going from just the first serial (I’m a busy man, alright?), there’s some gold to be found in these chronicles:

Sue: It can’t compete with that opening episode. There are far too many scenes of cavemen bickering and not enough action. And the special effects are rubbish.

Me: But there aren’t any special effects.

Sue: Exactly.

The following line of dialogue had me chuckling away:

Sue: He’s a smoker! You’d never get away with that today. Imagine Matt Smith pulling out some Lambert and Butler.

One wonders if Sue delivers such perfect set-ups and lines but frankly it doesn’t matter, because the result of writing down her reactions is interesting and funny.

Don’t just take my word for it, check it out for yourself – at this point they’re up to Talons Of Weng Chiang!

Tags: , ,

In his spare time, Scott writes for Kasterborous, his personal blog at WordPress and the revived Starburst Magazine. He’s also on Twitter (as @Scott_V_Writer) where he tries to be interesting and verbose in 140 characters.

8 Responses to Introducing the Wife to Time and Space?

1. Imelda Evans says:

The chronicles sound like fun, but seriously Scott? Anyone would think you thought there weren’t any female Doctor Who fans

2. tomspy77 says:

I know it matters not now I guess, but I had the same idea for years as my girl would always make odd and funny comments to the classic series tales! There goes another good idea! ;-)

3. Gavin Noble says:

I’ve just spent a bit of time reading through the site up to the end of The Time Meddler. Enjoying what I’ve read so far and will catch up on everything else over the next few days I am sure. I’ve never asked my own wife to watch the series from start to finish but she has sat through a few DVD’s when I’ve been watching them. OF the ones she’s see The Seeds of Doom is the only classic series adventure she’s asked to watch the end of if I’ve turned it off for whatever reason and she does like Black Orchid.

When the series returned she watched the first three series as they went out but gave up after that in order to get our daughter to bed so daddy could watch in peace. She’s caught the odd Matt Smith episode but thought Night Terrors and The God Complex were a bit too scary for children.

4. carnivac says:

“Being a Doctor Who fan is not generally seen by the general public as being the profession of a happily married man (basement-dwelling stereotypes still rule the day).”

10 or 15 years ago I might have agreed but going by friends of mine and people I’ve met since the 2005 revival I’d have to disagree with that now. I know plenty married couples who both enjoy the show. In fact most of my friends who love Doctor Who (and that includes the classic stuff too) are female. And hot. An ex-girlfriend of mine even told me she had The Five Doctors on a VHS tape for years and I’m fairly sure she’s the one who made my DVD of that particular story ‘mysteriously vanish’. From my experience the ‘general public’ seem to mostly love Doctor Who.

• Scott is a time traveller, writing his posts from 1995.

He’s also extremely generous with his time on a Bank Holiday weekend ;)

5. TonyS says:

Toby Hadoke & Robert Shearman are watching/listening to all the episodes in order and have written up the sixties in “Running Through Corridors”. They don’t really involve their partners in the experience much. It is an interesting and insightful read though.

6. Leigh says:

Wow, cutting edge. Is the starting of a forum called Gallifrey Base going to be your next news item?

• Is adding something constructive going to be your next comment?