Published on May 4th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley
The Krotons on DVD!
The release date is July 2nd, and the episode and commentary feature the late Philip Madoc, who died in March 2012.
When the TARDIS arrives on the planet of the Gonds, the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe discover a world ruled and enslaved by the Krotons. The brightest Gonds are always chosen to serve as companions of the Krotons and are never seen again.
The Doctor and his companions decide to put a stop to their rule – but in doing so, inadvertently unleash the true power and terror of the Krotons instead…
As ever, an impressive collection of extras has been collected for this release.
- Commentary With actors Philip Madoc (Eelek), Richard Ireson (Axus) and Gilbert Wynne (Thara), assistant floor manager David Tilley, make-up designer Sylvia James, costume designer Bobi Bartlett and special sounds designer Brian Hodgson. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
- Second Time Around Faced with William Hartnell’s deteriorating health but with a popular TV programme on their hands, the Doctor Who production team hit on the idea of ‘regenerating’ the show’s hero. This documentary looks back over Patrick Troughton’s tenure as the Second Doctor.
- Doctor Who Stories – Frazer Hines (part one) Actor Frazer Hines reminisces about his time on the series in an interview originally recorded in 2003 for the BBC’s Story of Doctor Who.
- The Doctor’s Strange Love Writers Joseph Lidster and Simon Guerrier take an affectionate look at The Krotons.
- Coming Soon Trailer
- Digitally Remastered Picture and Sound Quality
- Radio Times Listings (DVD-ROM)
- Programme Subtitles
- Production Information Subtitles
- Photo Gallery
Accompanied by this evocative cover, The Krotons is released on July 2nd and pre-ordered now from Amazon for £14.99.