Written by Louis Marks, Planet of Giants sees our travellers encountering some dimensional issues – but not the sort usually associated with Doctor Who. Indeed, a similar story was at one point intended as the very first episode…
The TARDIS doors open while the ship is still in flight by accident. Although they have arrived back on Earth in the 1960s, a time they have been trying to return to since they all met, the travellers soon realise that something is very wrong.
The Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan discover that they have all be reduced in size and the world they are now exploring has dangers at every turn…
Starring William Hartnell with William Russell as Ian Chesterton, Jacqueline Hill as Barbara Wright and Carole Ann Ford as Susan, the following extras are included on this release:
- Commentary with vision mixer Clive Doig, special sounds creator Brian Hodgson, make-up supervisor Sonia Markham and floor assistant David Tilley. Moderated by Mark Ayres.
- Episode 3 and 4 Reconstruction Originally shot as a four-part story, the final two episodes of Planet of Giants were edited into a single episode for transmission. Using the original scripts, newly recorded dialogue and animation, this feature gives viewers and idea of how the original four-part version might have appeared.
- Rediscovering The Urge to Live The team behind the reconstruction explain how it was put together.
- Doctor Who Stories – Suddenly Susan Carole Ann Ford talks about her role as the Doctor’s granddaughter and the first companion in the TARDIS in this interview originally recorded for 2003’s The Story of Doctor Who.
- Verity Lambert Tapes – Part Two Doctor Who’s original producer looks back on her time on the series in the second part of this interview recorded for The Story of Doctor Who
- Prop Design Plans (DVD-ROM only – to be viewed on PC/Mac).
- Coming Soon Trailer
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
- Radio Times Listings (DVD-ROM)
- Programme Subtitles
- Production Information Subtitles
- Photo Gallery
Set for release on August 20th, Planet of Giants can be pre-ordered from Amazon for £14.99.