Doctor Who News dw-s6-girlwaited-gall3

Published on April 8th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Three Hugo Nominations for Who!

Whether you follow the great Neil Gaiman or indeed Kasterborous on Twitter, you may already know that Doctor Who has not one, not two, but an astonishing three nominations for this year’s Hugo Awards!

For the uninitiated, the Hugos are the highly respected gongs awarded annually for the best sci-fi/sci-fantasyworks of the previous year.

In the 2012 awards the excellent The Doctor’s Wife by Gaiman is joined by the Tom MacRae’s superb The Girl Who Waited and Steven Moffat’s A Good Man Goes to War in the Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) category.

There they face competition from “Remedial Chaos Theory” from the NBC series Community and the self-fulfilling The Drink Tank’s Hugo Acceptance Speech.

“The Doctor’s Wife (Doctor Who), written by Neil Gaiman; directed by Richard Clark (BBC Wales)
“The Drink Tank’s Hugo Acceptance Speech,” Christopher J Garcia and James Bacon (Renovation)
“The Girl Who Waited” (Doctor Who), written by Tom MacRae; directed by Nick Hurran (BBC Wales)
“A Good Man Goes to War” (Doctor Who), written by Steven Moffat; directed by Peter Hoar (BBC Wales)
“Remedial Chaos Theory” (Community), written by Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna; directed by Jeff Melman (NBC)

The challenge is stiff, (no least from the Drink Tank!) but we reckon if Doctor Who is successful – and the odds are in our favour – then Tom MacRae will be the scriptwriter whose episode is rightly honoured.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Three Hugo Nominations for Who!

1. avatar Tim Cole says:

Yes, 100 per cent right. The script of The Girl Who Waited is a masterpiece and Gillan gives the outstanding performance of the season.

2. avatar Philip Bates says:

The Girl Who Waited. Oh yes.

3. avatar Castellan Spandrel says:

So that’s “the excellent” The Doctor’s Wife, the “superb” The Girl Who Waited and …… A Good Man Goes to War.

Whether intentional or not, it pretty much echoes my own sentiments.

• I don’t know what you mean, Spandex…

4. avatar LBUNITHQ says:

All excellent but The Doctors Wife I personally think is one of the best episodes ever and I started watching at the age of 6 with The Green Death

5. avatar Gruff says:

Hmmm tough choice, both TGWW and TDW were standout stories from a good season last year, but how to choose between them? I even quoted many times from TDW in a reading at my sister’s wedding, but it was definitely more of a fanboys wet dream of a story so I have got to go to MacRea’s modern classic which made me cry and is truly deserving of further praise and recognition.

I still think the Moffat ones were good, but as with anyone responsible for writing half a series his ideas and qualities are/were being watered down by being spread out over so many hours of TV. It happened to RTD and it did the same to the Moff last year, hopefully a longer break might have improved his own QC decisions for this and next year.

6. avatar Castellan Spandrel says:

A Good Man Goes to War – a total non-story/poor Death Star rip off, lousily self-aggrandising and easily my least favourite of the season apart from possibly Black Spot.

But yes, the other two mentioned above were the best of the season, though I’d add the God Complex to the equation.

If I had to pick one, it’d be a tough choice between Dr’s Wife and God Complex.

But now I think about again, The Girl Who Waited was something else as well. A three-horse race – nice to be spoilt for choice!