Doctor Who News The Master becomes Prime Minister of Great Britain

Published on April 25th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds

Simm: I’m Not Returning to Who Any Time Soon

Addressing a non-rumour from the notoriously unreliable website IMDb, current Master John Simm has taken to Twitter to deny that he’ll be returning to the Who fold any time soon.

Despite being listed on IMDb as being amongst the cast for a future episode, the former Life on Mars star who can regularly be seen on stage and screen in the UK tweeted on Monday:

[blackbirdpie url="https://twitter.com/#!/john_simm/status/194478392345767936"]

Of course this could all just be a diabolical Master-esque double bluff, paving the way for a triumphant return and possible regeneration (well, Matt Smith got a new TARDIS: why not a new Master?) for the fiftieth anniversary celebrations.

Simm himself told The One Show last summer that, if offered the chance, he’d love to return to the show.

Whatever happens in the Doctor’s future we know that somewhere out there the Master is plotting to shorten that 900 odd year existence considerably and it’d be a crying shame if Simm wasn’t allowed one more crack at the whip upon the Master’s return.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to Simm: I’m Not Returning to Who Any Time Soon

1. Neil says:

I, for one, would be quite glad if John Simm never played The Master again. Nothing against him as an actor, in fact I think he is a really good actor – but to me he was never really convincing in Doctor Who. Maybe it’s because he was encouraged to ham it up at every opportunity – No, give the part to an older gent. And bring back the Master ‘look’, little devil beard etc.

2. daveac41 says:

I’m inclined to agree with Neil. However, could Derek Jacobi be persuaded to reprise his part?

3. BobF says:

I tend to agree with Neil on this one. One of the worst portrays of the part since it was created. It would have been a much wiser decision if they’d kept the Master played by Derek Jacobi. And the less said about Benedict Cumberbatch, or whatever his name is, the better too.

4. Mugen Pharoah says:

Simm’s a great actor but I’m happy for a new actor to come along to play Gallifrey’s most wanted.

Did the Master escape or did he leap into the time war too to create timey wimey chaos with his Skeletor powers in The End of Time. That may never be resolved and he may just roll up again with a Mark of the Rani type sweep of continuity under the carpet…but maybe not dressed as a scarecrow..

5. Castellan Spandrel says:

“Or it could just be someone speculating in a similar fashion to this, only using IMDb to stoke excitement levels so high (it wouldn’t be the first time…) that fans had no choice but to tweet Simm and ask him.”

-Probably not. The person who did this is more likely the usual sort of saddo who foists their own private wish list on IMDB, one which has no basis in reality. ‘Dinosaurs in Space’, indeed! (the episode listed on there as featuring Simm as the Master). The title reeks of fan-tasia.

You know the type – the sort of bloke who sticks really boring videos of himself on Youtube in which he thrills us all by talking for 10 minutes about which Who DVDs he’s got/has watched. Yawn.

6. Krumstets says:

Perhaps Simm’s portrayal needs time to evolve….?

As for his tweeting that he won’t be coming back` anytime soon’ well that could mean anything . It might not be next week which is soon, but it could be in a few months which could be considered as not so soon.

• Evolution is good – just look at how Ainley’s Master or even Tom’s Doctor evolved over their tenures.

7. Philip Bates says:

I don’t like how Russell portrayed the Master – I DO like John Simm; he’s a truly fantastic actor and I think he deserves another chance under The Moff.

(Polite abuse as a reaction to this comment welcome.)

8. John Harley says:

For Heavens sake don’t let Moffat anywhere near The character of The Master! Look what the hack did to The Daleks,The Cybermen,The Silurians and others! He’s only got time for his own baddies,the boring Silents or whatever! Hated how he included them on the Cyber story last year! The man is A writers block!

• That’s quite an accusation, John – would be good if you could provide an arument to back it up…

• andrew mclaren says:

Sorry Christian but without any doubt moffat should be barred from
        writing for dr who…his story lines suck and as for last years christmas special..well, enough said

Matt smith is a great actor but Russell T davis is required to re-boot this show before it crashes big style!!

• Andrew, where are your facts? “Without a doubt”? This is without a doubt your opinion, more than anything tangible. Doctor Who doesn’t need rebooting, and it is nowhere near crashing!

Ever since the show returned people have offered their “armchair ratings expert” opinions on how it will fail, how the Tenth Doctor won’t be as popular, how Billie Piper leaving will cause the show to end, how David Tennant leaving will lead to cancellation… how RTD leaving will put the show on hiatus…

Do you see the pattern?

Now you might be one of those terminally pessimistic fans who lived through the 1980s – that’s fair enough. But please, PLEASE if you’re going to leave comments then do yourself and the other readers the service of having an argument that at least backs up your opinion.

Otherwise it’s just noise.

9. John Harley says:

Hi,Christian,
    Just watch any of the episodes that Moffat has been the ‘producer’ of and you’ll see what I’m getting at (except The Doctor’s Wife)I feel the show is at it’s lowest ebb at the moment and it is a long way from the idea of the traveller from Gallifrey correcting faults with time or fighting alien invasions! But then I shouldn’t moan coz Moffat is saving me money as I don’t buy the new show DVD’s anymore! I’m not enamoured with Matt Smith as The Doctor either anymore! And I thought RTD’s vision was bad…

• That’s not an argument, that’s a “see for yourself”!

I’d suggest you would have difficulty in developing a compelling list of examples of the Doctor “correcting faults with time”, too.

The fact is, the show changes. It cannot be all things to everyone. But to state Moffat is a “hack” when this is clearly not the case is puzzling, to me at least.

I’m not as excited by the prospect of the Moff being in charge as I was before he was, but then I was the same following the second RTD series. Fortunately the 3rd series and most of the 4th blew me away, and I see no reason to be overly critical until the episodes are broadcast :)

10. Tom says:

Moffat seems to have finally got it right this series. But i agree the last two series have been poor. The way he has turned it into a soap with annoying River Song constantly flirting andthe Amy-Rory shite, he has turned the badies into a laughable joke.

Moffat was better just writing two parters.