Doctor Who News tw-s4-ep5-jack-hp1

Published on April 22nd, 2012 | by Scott Varnham

Barrowman Wants Captain Jack Return for 50th

It’s fair to say that with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who coming up, everybody and their mums has been speculating on who will be appearing in the episodes in question and what form the celebrations will take.

John Barrowman as Captain Jack HarknessSo it’s nice to see that Cap’n Jack himself has attempted to kick up a campaign to get him brought back to Who for the 50th. What better way to celebrate a big milestone than getting your mates together for a big birthday bash? (Mind you,  not many people can invite their previous selves, as some people have suggested is happening.)

He has to get this campaign started because, according to him:

It’s not up to me, it’s up to the executives, and it’s also kind of up to the fans, because if they want it, all they have to do is start writing.

Something that will be of interest to the fans is the fact that he and Matt Smith have actually discussed this:

Matt and I actually had a conversation at the BBC once, sitting around a table – we thought it would be a great idea.

It’s interesting that he was apparently already at the BBC considering all the other things he’s doing, such as Gilded Lilys, a US pilot from the creator of Grey’s Anatomy. Maybe there’s more going on here than he’s letting on? After all, we already know that Moffat is interested in having him back on the show (he would’ve been in A Good Man Goes To War but was busy with Miracle Day).

I’m willing to bet that if he’s not been approached by now, he probably won’t be. If you’ve ever read The Writer’s Tale, you’ll notice that most of the plot twists and whatnot were planned out about two years in advance. So the odds are that if he was on the team, you would know about it by now. Having said that, he is one of my favourite characters and I’d love to see him make a return (and have it not be a rehash of Journey’s End).

What are your opinions, dear reader? Care to see him make a comeback, or is he just trying to get himself shoehorned into a project that has no place for him?

Tags: , , , , , ,

In his spare time, Scott writes for Kasterborous, his personal blog at WordPress and the revived Starburst Magazine. He’s also on Twitter (as @Scott_V_Writer) where he tries to be interesting and verbose in 140 characters.

8 Responses to Barrowman Wants Captain Jack Return for 50th

1. avatar Fiona says:

I would love to see JB (or JH!!) back with the Doctor…. But can we bring back the de-fabricator also??

2. avatar Alex says:

I’ve no objection to Jack coming back. No reason he shouldn’t show up with Tennant’s Doctor like the Brigadier did with Troughton in the five Doctors. I’d rather not see a huge companion bonanza or a huge menagerie of enemies showing up, but I guess TGM will probably pull out all the stops for this one.

3. avatar Solonor says:

I would love to see every companion who every appeared in the show (not to mention previous Doctors), but it would make me particularly sad to have a 50th anniversary without Captain Jack.

4. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

I’m kinda hoping he shuts up about this in general. I mean, I’m fairly certain that the Moff already knows what he wants to do. I’m sure guest stars that have already been notified or asked to take part have probably already been sworn to secrecy. So Barrowman might just be having fun with us knowing how things will play out. Or the Moff has no intention of involving him, which is also fine by me. And it’s still a year and a half away.

5. avatar Bob F says:

I agree – for the 50th pull out all the stops and bring them all back! I’d love to see Captain Jack again and I really hope that they can convince Christopher Ecceleston to make an appearance as well, along with every other living Doctor.

6. avatar Gerri Walton says:

Gerri walton from yokine

I hope they pick him for the 50th

7. avatar Paula Reed says:

Anyone who watches Doctor Who and Torchwood knows that the Doctor and Jack work hand in hand when they can. The 50th will not be the same without the Captain.

8. avatar Al says:

Anybody who is a fan of Captain Jack wants to know for sure if he is The Face of Boe. Wrap it up, finally. Very long life ended by saving Manhatten.