Doctor Who Former Doctor Who star Paul McGann

Published on March 15th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

McGann: Ask Me & I’ll Say Yes

Former Doctor Who Paul McGann has repeated in a recent interview that he would be happy to return to the show if asked, adding to his short but loved appearance as the Eighth Doctor in 1996.

Former Doctor Who star Paul McGannSpeaking to Digital Spy, McGann – who has played the Doctor for over 10 years in various Big Finish audio adventures – revealed that he is “still in the Doctor Who loop“.

“Being Doctor Who, there’s always anniversaries looming large – celebration programmes and episodes,” he said. “I’m often asked, ‘If they get the five Doctors together, would you do it?’ and of course, I’d do it. They’ve just got to ring me up!”

“Although I was [in] Doctor Who for six weeks, sixteen years ago, it never goes away – it only ever seems to get stronger,” he suggested. I’d love to do that again, but that’s not up to me.”

Previously Paul McGann has been praised by Matt Smith, who described McGann as a “great actor”. We’re pretty much of the same opinion here at Kasterborous, and would love to see him playing the Eighth Doctor once again. Sadly, as McGann recalled last year, no one from the BBC has uttered the words “Doctor Who” to him since 1996.

Of course, it’s all down to just one man, but if any classic era Doctor were to be used in an upcoming special, McGann is the one who looks most matches his appearance 16  years ago.

Go on, Moff!

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to McGann: Ask Me & I’ll Say Yes

1. avatar Bob James says:

Yes, Go on Moff! It would be awesome to see Paul back at least once. The new show has acknowledged him a few times, but an appearance would be the ultimate inclusion. Perhaps a story where the Eleventh Doctor meets his Eighth incarnation, before the Time War, and stuggles knowing he can’t even tell him what’s to come. In Moffat’s hands there are so many possibilities…….

2. avatar Bob James says:

“struggles” not “stuggles” of course………..

3. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

I’ve been saying for a while that the way to go for an anniversary show would be the Eleventh Doctor going back to interact with his previous selves by inserting him into previous adventures ala DS9′s Tribble episode. I think with a couple past Doctors, a lengthier conversation with McGann before he goes into the Time war or maybe as he’s going to regenerate into Eccleston would be fantastic—and would show a hint of Eccleston via CYI in some fashion in case he doesn’t want to partake. Plus, as they did in The Doctor’s wife, they could re use the old console room for the McGann sequence as well. SO many possibilities, it’s frightening and exciting!

4. avatar Philip Bates says:

Been listening to the 8th Doctor audio adventures with Lucie over the past week. Paul McGann is such a fantastic Doctor.

Of course, he may already have had the phone call, and just can’t say anything about it yet…

5. avatar Ian O'Brien says:

Yes! Steven Moffat should bring Paul McGann back as the Doctor. I think all surviving Doctors should return (whether he can persuade Christopher Eccleston is another matter). Yes I know Tom & Colin Baker look a lot different, but a good writer could find away. Be the only chance to have them together. If not that then as Rick says above like the DS9 Tribble episode.

6. avatar spencer says:

Well I always thought it was the eighth doctor that carried out the time war genocide and regenerated into the 9th. So actually its plausible to bring him back for it !!

7. avatar Anthony says: