Doctor Who News dw-s7-dalektease5

Published on March 30th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Daleks Are Coming!

We’re still at least six months away from the return of Doctor Who, but this doesn’t mean that we can’t get excited by the return of the Daleks, whose presence in Series 7 was confirmed in the recent teaser trailer.

It will be around 18 months between appearances when they turn up later this year – possibly in the first episode – and while Steven Moffat has avoided giving much away the BBC seem happy to provide some interesting close up shots of the little green blobs in bonded polycarbide armour.

As you browse through the images, something will strike you. Not: “they’re all Smartie Daleks!” or “oh look, a Time War Dalek!” But:

“Hang on! It’s all of them!”

Following their escape at the close of Victory of the Daleks, we knew they would be back one day (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang notwithstanding) but who could ever have imagined that we would see so many different designs?

Has the backlash from fans (and, it seems, some of the Doctor Who production team) over the New Paradigm Daleks been felt at the BBC?

It certainly seems so!

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to Daleks Are Coming!

1. Bryan Simcott says:

I love the fan myths about a “backlash” the New paradigm Daleks were scowled at by a few hundred at most old fans with nothing better to do than moan (as usual) the majority of older fans and new fans and production personel have been more than happy

The New paradigm Daleks have sold so well (the toys) and have travelled the world for events and marketing.

Surely they would have been pulled much sooner had there been any BACKLASH!!!

• Steve Andrew says:

I’m a child of the 70s, so for me Daleks (or at least Dalek toys) were always colourful. I suppose that’s a case of the memory cheating, as they were always grey on TV. When I was about 8 I had a short-lived wind-up Dalek that was bright red and I remember the Day Of The Daleks Target book where different colours signified ranks. So, I looked forward to the new Paradigm with a sense of nostalgia – and I have to say I kinda liked them. They’re big, brutal looking, but the colours make them look modern. And I like that they have a hierarchy. They don’t look plastic to me they look like freakish sports cars. (I don’t really like the bump at the back, but that’s a minor niggle.) Personally, I can’t wait for them to produce a Black version…

But oh, the frikking “back-lash”… Moan, moan, moan. You’d think the sky had fallen in from the sound of some of the complaints! “They look like tellytubbies!” “They look like iPods!” “They look like Smarties!” Yeah, and you know what – kids bloody love ‘em.

I sorta liked them when they were first introduced – but since the overboard, pearl-clutching complaints from some fans, I’ve found I really love the new design. A design that I’m sure some people at BBC Wales put a lot of effort into.

Maybe I just have a fondness for the underdog?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

maybe you do, because they are still crap.

• Krumstets says:

I’m not sure the success of the paradigm design could be attributed to the sales of their toy counterparts.

There are many fans out there who purchase anything that is produced.

• No myth, Bryan. Mark Gatiss himself revealed he was unimpressed in a 2011 issue of DWM.

Perhaps overstated by some fans, but a backlash certainly exists and it went right to the top.

• James McLean says:

Also worth remembering that Jar Jar actually sold very well as merchandise for Lucasfilm – doesn’t mean he was a universally popular design. That is of course not to say that any fan backlash was indicative of mainstream feedback, but I’ve not met one person who said they really liked the new design from any casual mates. Not to say they didn’t have their fans, but could hardly say they were a universal design success.

• Leo says:

Indeed. In fact I admit to owning several versions of Jar Jar figures although this was more to being a then avid collector of the action figure range than my view on the character, the prequels and George Lucas and his endless tampering which eventually left bad taste in the mouth.
          I was to say the very least ecstatic when I saw these still’s earlier today and still am. The Dalek’s are by far and away my favourite alien of any franchise let alone all things Who and any return is welcome-its the story that quite often lets them down…..

• Bryan Simcott says:

Well Mark Gatis said he wasnt impressed by the bump and that alone, otherwise he said the same as moffat about the Kids loveing them big , bold and bright.

and anything “overstated” is therefore amyth if the word backlash is continued to be used, as its Ocerstated then its not as true as people make out by simple viture of being overstated.

I still think the majority of people if asked cold in the street to rate the daleks from 1 – 10 would find it hard to choose on desing. most of the new fans love them, jo public seem to love Daleks (the papers certainly do) so its left to few hundreds online moaners

that isnt a Backlash, thats just the sort of thing top gear aim for

• James McLean says:

Data is hard to ascertain on this, given kids by their nature are more adaptive than adults – a reason why kids television has never seen many show revivals – kids move on and are sparkled by the next fad. I remember being a kid – that was me in a nutshell. But whether or whether not a new Dalek popped up, it’s a question as to whether they’d drop this toyline as boring and leap to the next.

For me personally, as has been suggested later in this thread, it was the storylines that wowed me less – the design I’m not that fussed by in the grand scheme. Though that been said, I did have the good fortune of seeing this design the year before it came out, and because I wasn’t aware it was a locked down design for the show, I thought it was some overclocked video game render – which perhaps is a good indication of any objectivity of my personal opinion – I had no idea these were replacements and I thought they were just game designer images.

Does it mean the backlash is small? I think to assume it’s a few hundred fans is a little demeaning and insulting. I do agree fandom has a tendency to see itself as being FAR larger relevance to the Who catchment market than it is – but it is sizable. I’ve not met a single fan or casual viewer who has liked them – BUT I’d be arrogant to say that’s indicative of audience opinion. Just like most fans loathed Last of the Time Lords (and how I disliked Big Bang), but the audience appreciation for both was through the roof.

I think the point to be made here is a middleground. Fans cannot presume their circles, be they hundreds of thousands wide, speak for kids, casual viewers, avid casual viewers etc. Likewise, it is just as arrogant to presume that if there’s wide dissent for a design in fandom, that their opinion is self contained because they are anal and fanatical. I think the design was quite radical, carrying a very unusual mix of shapes that (imo) don’t quite flow and was uncalled for – viewers weren’t looking for an update. So I would think there would be a fair few who’d agree with fans – but perhaps not so eager to shout and fume on chatboards about it.

So yes, a lot of guesswork. I’d say answer is probably a bit of both sides. :)

2. Krumstets says:

I suppose the reason that all the Daleks will be used in forthcoming stories has more to do with budget costs than anything else.

To design and build new Dalek’s for the show ( I imagine ) doesn’t come cheap.

The paradigm Daleks came in for some criticism from oldies like myself and I am sure from others but in the end they cannot be replaced so easily primarily because of cost.

3. Ian O'Brien says:

Really pleased about this news. But new series is not likely to start until November as they are planning to show it continuously including over Christmas.

4. Mugen Pharoah says:

Whatever someone’s feelings on the New Paradigm are I don’t think anyone over the age of ten would say they were the best ever design and colour scheme..even New Paradigm apologists can’t say this. Personally I think the red and white are OKish – the other colours just don’t seem martial enough, the bump could be excused if they actually start whipping weapons out of them like they are supposed to (subject to budgets) and the idea to supersize them is all right by me.

I think what we’ll see here is actually the opposite suggested in the article – not a return to Time War Daleks but a ‘showcase’ for the New Paradigm in a similar way we saw a Time War Dalek pull off snazzy new tricks in 2005′s ‘Dalek’. That bendy eyestalk thing in the trailer being just the tip of a Power Ranger Dalek’s iceberg of new CGI whizzy gadgets.

5. DavidF says:

The real problem with the redesign of the Daleks was the writing. It was an unevenly paced episode with all the good stuff squeezed in to the beginning, before a hugely self-conscious look-at-the-new-design sequence, and a hasn’t-this-finished-yet flap around a man with a bomb in his chest. The backlash would not have been so severe had the story felt less like an Apple launch.