Doctor Who News Two Zygons from 1975's Terror of the Zygons

Published on February 24th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Zygons to Return?

Could a new classic era monster be making a return to the Doctor Who universe?

Two Zygons from 1975's Terror of the Zygons

We’ve had Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Macra, Silurians and the Master, and thanks to the new out-of-beta Doctor Who: Worlds in Time game there is a possibility that the Zygons could be returning in Series 7.

In an interview on the SFX website new Executive Producer Caroline Skinner is asked in depth about the new browser based MMO title (not to be confused with the PS3/PlayStation Vita game The Eternity Clock). At one point, in a quickly-ignored-but-published section the conversation goes like this:

The Zygons are in it! Is this a hint they’re going to be returning to the show anytime soon?

[Laughs] “Wait and see.”

Interesting that she doesn’t say “no”. Of course, nor does she say yes, but this might – if true – lend credence to earlier reports of a classic-era monster appearing in Doctor Who Series 7.

The Zygons on-screen career as potential masters of Earth has sadly and shamefully been limited to the single Terror of the Zygons serial from September 1975, in which they were defeated by the Fourth Doctor, Sarah, Harry Sullivan and the Brigadier. However these shapeshifters who controlled the Loch Ness Monster have nevertheless been well regarded by fans over the years, popping up in various spin-off books, audios and comic strips.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Zygons to Return?

1. Ian McArdell says:

Oh I really hope to. I always thought it a shame that they never revived them for Tennant as he often quoted them as a favourite. I’m not actually convinced they’d need much updating. Don’t know if we really need another doppleganger tale right now though after all the gangers and tessalecters of last series…

2. TonyS says:

I seem to recall having read somewhere that a monster from the 60s and 70s will be making a return. That sounds more like the Ice Warriors

• Krumstets says:

Why do the Ice Warriors keep getting mentioned as a possible returning monster?

They were a bit boring really.

Would be great if a Zygon story set on another planet – their home world perhaps – was done.

But please, no more doppleganger type shenanigans.

• Leo says:

My understanding is that it was monster’s from the 60s AND the 70s returning, in other word’s two returnees….although tbh I’m not holding my breath.

I would love a Zygon return, as indeed several other old foes. Its quite amazing given the ongoing popularity of some of the big hitters from the classic series, that only ever had one outing-we never saw them again, ie Sutekh, Voc Robots, etc. Year’s of missed opportunities.

3. Rick Lundeen says:

The Zygons are maybe my favorite monsters that never got a second shot in the show. Lets face it, a big part of it was the design of those magnificent costumes by none other than James Acheson, the brilliant designer who went on to come up with many popular designs for the show and went on to movies such as Spider-man. The Zygons may be the one monster who doesn’t need a redesign. I really don’t think they could improve on it so let’s hope they have the sense to leave well enough alone. If they do return.

As for the Ice Warriors, I’m all for it because they desperately need a redesign and I think they could really come back big.

4. Mugen Pharoah says:

The Moff did want Zygons in The Pandorica Opens.

As to the redesign just Zygons be Zygons

5. Ian O'Brien says:

I just hope they don’t mess with the design like they did with the Daleks, Cybermen & Silurians. Neill Gorton of Millennium FX has said he would like to do the Zygons & just a little ut with little change. Fingers or suckers crossed.

6. Bob James says:

Oh God, I hope so too! It has been WAY too long since we last saw these formidable foes of the Doctor. They looked great back then too, so imagine how they would be now!

7. TonyS says:

How about the return of Dr Zaroff’s Fish People?

8. Ian Dack says:

• I’m not sure what the wisdom is on posting on a 12 month old article to link to news that is already on the front page of Kasterborous. But if you enjoyed doing so, I’m pleased for your.