Published on January 10th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds
Will You Face Xoanon?
Overshadowed by Leela’s leather bikini The Face of Evil (or to give it it’s far better original title “The Day God Went Mad”) is one of those fantastic jumble of other sci-fi ideas (2001: A Space Odyssey, Forbidden Planet, Star Trek) that slides neatly into a fantastic run of great serials in the Fourth Doctor cannon.
Released in March, Chris Boucher’s The Face of Evil sees the Doctor arrive on a planet where a savage tribe called the Sevateem worship a God called Xoanon – which is in fact a spaceship’s computer which the Doctor at some point in his past tried to repair – inflicting the omnipotent machine with multiple personality disorder.
The DVD release comes with the usual high standard of extras including:
• Into the Wild: Cast and crew talk about the making of The Face of Evil
• From the Cutting Room Floor: Film trims provide a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the film shoot.
• Tomorrow’s Times – The Fourth Doctor: A look at press coverage of Doctor Who during the Tom Baker era.
• Doctor Who Stories: Louise Jameson talks about her role on the programme in this interview shot for 2003’s The Story of Doctor Who.
• Swap Shop: An extract from Louise Jameson’s appearance on The Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, interviewed by Noel Edmonds.
• Denys Fisher Toys Advert
• 1976 Typhoo Tea Doctor Who Promotion
• Radio Times listings
• Programme subtitles
• Production information subtitles
• Photo gallery
• Coming soon trailer
• Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
The Face of Evil is available to pre-order now from Amazon for £12.99and is released on the 5th March.