Merchandise merch-cybermen-peri

Published on January 10th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds

The Third Peri!

New Peri and Cyberman Doctor Who figures from CharacterUnderwhelming and self-referential to the point of alienating the very people it hoped to please (i.e. the fans) or a lively action packed addition to the canon and a solid entry in Colin Baker’s first full season?

Whatever your thoughts on the 1985 serial Attack of the Cybermen you probably won’t be swayed by this the Doctor Who Action Figures Collectors Set: Attack of the Cybermen.

Now in an episode that does wallow so brazenly in the shows past which iconic moment or characters do you think Character Options have decide to immortalise in plastic? A Totter’s Lane set? the cryogenic hibernation chamber on Telos? The Cyber Controller with his impressive CyberGut?

Its Peri and a Cyberman.

Sigh…

Some of you may decry yet another variation of Peri so soon after the Vengeance on Varos Collectors Set and The Caves of Androzani Collectors Set but unbeknownst to us CO is in fact run by a Geppetto-like figure in a black and white mask who’s only goal is to produce a ‘real’ Peri figure for his own devious ends.

One day, when he wishes upon a star, he’ll succeed and then we’ll be free of all these variations of Peri but until that day we’ll get another cost saving copy.

Peri comes accompanied by a Cyberman with a removable faceplate in case you ever felt like re-enacting the ‘Alas, poor Yorick…’ speech from Hamlet: Act 5, Scene 1 with Perpugilliam Brown commanding the stage.

The Cyberman figure – which also featured in another Attack of the Cybermen Collectors Set albeit in its black stealth guise – also comes with a Cybergun accessory to make it all worthwhile.

The Doctor Who Action Figure Collectors Set: Attack of the Cybermen is available for pre-order now for £26.99 and will appear in Forbidden Planets Warehouse of Dreams on the February 24th – just in time for Panic Day!

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to The Third Peri!

1. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Andrew, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Nice to see such a forthright opinion.

It should be mentioned too that none of the Cybermen in the televised story of Attack actually had their faceplates off to reveal the skull inside. Not only a duplicate rip off set, then, but also inaccurate for those who care about that sort of thing.

Am sick of all the Peris, variant 4th Drs, Daleks and Cybermen Yes, it’s great that we have these toys and the quality is generally high – easily better than the Dapols and Denys Fishers of yore – but why not release a UNIT set, Draconians, Ogrons, original series Silurians, Rory, Jamie, Black and White Guardian…..

Instead, I guarantee there’ll be more Dalek and Cybermen sets, more 4th Drs, and probably Meglos – basically the 4th Dr figure with green spikes added as I imagine it’s cheaper to reuse existing casts than do something new from scratch.

2. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

castellanspandrel, needs to watch some Classic Doctor who and especially ATTACK of the CYBERMEN. as the Doctor takes the faceplate of a cyberman on the floor in one of the cyber restroom , and you see the “android” “robot” features not quite a replica of the one in the show, but it was / is there .

another one comes bursting out of the ensuit next to the rest room and goes bonkers killing a cryon this one has the green goo look shown here.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Trust me, Bryan, I watch plenty Classic Dr Who! I started watching aged 3 in 1972 and saw most episodes from then on.

I generally know my stuff but have to say I don’t remember that part in Attack. I remember Attack very well, though it’s not a favourite. I recall the green goo, but not the faceplate bit, but that appears to be my memory failing, per yours and others’ posts.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Ok, having checked Ian’s link, that does ring a bell. But it’s not a skull or a face. :>0

3. avatar Ian O'Brien says:

I like this set and CO have gone one better than the actual episode. When the Doctor removed the face plate from the deactivated Cyberman there was only wires and a flashing light, here at least CO have put the remains of a human face in it.
    From the BBC Classic Dr Who guide for Attack of the Cybermen under goofs.
    The Cyberman’s head that the Doctor investigates, searching for the distress signal, contains no organic parts [although it does at least have a silver chin, a nice piece of continuity].

[IMG]http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo240/Ianotimelord/vlcsnap-2012-01-06-19h34m33s166.png[/IMG]

4. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

The duplicates can definitely stop now– unless there’s a good reason, say a third Doctor in his red jacket as that was a cool look. A 4th Doctor/Meglos would be amusing but aside from that, I think they’ve pretty much nailed every look he’s had during his run. They’ve got him in every coat he ever wore. The only looks we’ve yet to see are the Deadly assassin white shirt, the Shada/5 Doctors punting in his vest look and maybe all his costume changes in Robot before settling on the final—let’s hope they don’t go there.

I’d definitely like to see an Ian, Barbara and Susan set, Jamie and Zoe, UNIT, and especially a young Sarah Jane. Most important of all though, the original Tardis Console room from An Unearthly Child. That’s priority number one. I’d dump the Tennant set and clear off the space in a minute if they finally created that.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Hi, Rick – You forgot to mention the Sherlock Holmes-style outfit from Talons! Despite my mumping about the 4th Dr duplicates, I would have to consider buying that one, particularly if it came with Litefoot and Jago (but not Greel and Sin, which I already have).

As for the rat – I’ll catch that myself.