Doctor Who no image

Published on October 1st, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

Did You Enjoy the Wedding?

So here we are. It’s all over. If you haven’t yet seen The Wedding of River Song, stop reading – this poll might just reveal a few facts that you would rather enjoy in context.

We’ve finally reached the end of Doctor Who Series 6, almost six months after it kicked-off by that now-familiar lake in Utah. Calling it Silencio was a nice touch, don’t you think?

But now we know the truth. We know why the Doctor had to die, we know about Churchill, about the Silence, about River Song and Madame Kovarian and about the Daleks.

What we don’t know, however, is what you thought – and now is the time to say!

Just leave your vote on our poll, and let us know how much you enjoyed, were perplexed by or how often you shouted at the TV screen during The Wedding of River Song in the comments section below!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Did You Enjoy the Wedding?

1. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

It was fab – though the Tesselecta get out was obvious, imagine if they hadn’t had set that up in Let’s Kill Hitler – everyone would be REALLY angry.

Also though brilliant idea to keep the Doctor in the shadows with everyone thinking he’s dead.

are we meant to infer one more series for Matt, with the end of the twelfth at Trenzalore?

One thing though – couldn’t the silence have put ANYONE in the astronaut suit to kill the Doctor if it controlled her- why did it have to River Song? And why an astronaut suit?

otherwise happy happy happy

2. avatar Spag Hoops says:

Oh yes of course, duh. The fall of the eleventh. Eleventh doctor. These things are really obvious when someone points them out.

3. avatar Gruff says:

As a nearly obsessive fan even I said at the end that it was a bit of an ott fan-boy episode. However I had similar feelings of disappointedness after the last 3 season ending episodes too (featuring The Master, Davros and the Fez). I soon appreciated them on later viewings too. I hope I can with this episode too.

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

I was always wondering how they could possibly wrap up the season in just a single episode. But I think this is possibly the best season finale of the new series. It wrapped up this season’s questions without being over-wrought, while still leaving more open for the future of the Moffat Masterplan.

I’m both eager and yet afraid to see where this is going.

5. avatar Drew Fleming says:

If the whole point of this series (and the previous one) was to jettison the “Oncoming Storm” aspect of the Doctor then I am verrrry happy and I am more than willing to overlook the rather muddled plotting and off-kilter characterisations of this episode.

6. avatar Ian O'Brien says:

I was afraid of another Big Bang, but this was exciting!
    I have one question who was Madam Kovarian?
    Loved the ending!!

7. avatar Alex says:

Hey – after all the bashing the Guardian has received in the last few weeks regarding its perceived bashing of the series, the review is actually a very positive one. Which is amusing since apparently (according to some sites) the fanbase is out for Moffat’s blood. I don’t see that happening at all. But maybe I haven’t googled hard enough. Me, I thought it was an excellent, refreshingly straightforward wrap up with lots of surprises. And as one who was expecting the “dead” Doctor to be a Ganger, I’m actually glad they went with the other solution, even if they did telegraph it with the US-style “Previously…” recap. I’m happiest at the fact River wasn’t written out – I was worried the episode might have ended with her about to go to the Library. So we have more chances for more adventures with her and her folks, as long as she doesn’t get too tied up with Upstairs Downstairs, of course!

8. avatar gavinio says:

I think the series has suffered somewhat from being split into two halves. Any momentum built in the first half was completely lost and as such it did not feel the same building up this finale as it has for the other series since its return in 2005. That’s the main reason I was a little disappointed and underwhelmed by the finale (though it was nowhere near as bad as the Master finale of 2007).

Did anyone else get a lump in their throat when the Brigadier’s death was mentioned? Totally unexpected and yet totally right for the show to mention it and very moving the way it was played.

9. avatar Krumstets says:

When they cremated the Tesselector Doctor surely they would have noticed the wires and machinery that made up the body?
    Or were they too polite to check the ashes afterwards?

• the depth of the lake might have proved a more than adequate barrier to any checks they wished to make…

10. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

I’ll have to watch it again but initially, I’m a bit disappointed. I find myself thinking back to the days when the Moff would come in, write an outstanding episode, usually it’d be the bright spot of a season. Now he crafts entire seasons where he has other writers come in to write episodes that basically just lead in to, refer to or build up to his series tent pole episodes, the openers and finales. Most of the rest of the episodes come off as place holders for his episodes. Didn’t seem to happen nearly as much in series 5. The crack was just a small bit like the RTD era theme notes such as Bad Wolf, Torchwood and Saxon. This series seemed to be all about sliding panels, pregnancy scans, Doctor’s death dates, etc. I’m hoping this gets toned down next year but I get the feeling things are going to get more complicated and interwoven as we get closer to the big 50th anniversary.

• avatar Drew Fleming says:

I think that that has been the whole point of this finale. To simplify Doctor Who and return it to being about a mad man with a box that’s bigger on the inside and that travels in time. I think that it was telling that thirteen minutes of confo had to be set aside to explain River’s timeline. If the programme needs a supplemntary programme to explain what’s been going on then it’s time to scale back.

11. avatar Spacedog2k5 says:

FAIL! That’s what I felt at the end of it all. It felt like a friend offers to take you to dinner (his treat), and he takes you to Burger King, buying you an extra value meal – only with more angst than any visit to BK could possibly generate.

Under the Grand Moff’s “reign of terror”, he has made the Doctor into an unlikeable character while his companions were elevated to a level of heroism that surpassed anything the Doctor has showed lately! We’ve been shown that, upon knowing he is about to die, rather than going back to see any of the previous companions’ (maybe someone from Classic WHO!) the Doctor goes to spend some final time with.. Craig, the fellow whose spare room he rented in last season’s “The Lodger”! WTF!?!

And, seriously? Enough with the “timey-wimey” b/s! It’s not cool, it’s certainly not clever — it’s bloody LAZY! Moffat’s solutions to his mega-epic-wannabee seasons is not even good enough to consider them to be even “deus ex machina”!

Someone commented on one of the U.K. sites that as far as he was concerned, the Doctor died last night and that he won’t be revived until Steven Moffat steps down. And, well, you know, he’s got a point and I’m adopting his notion as well..

• avatar Drew Fleming says:

The Doctor unlikable? Eh? Moffat’s reign of terror? Double Eh? So sorry to read that you are giving up. Bye now.

• avatar cosmic hobo says:

Good!Dr who neither wants or needs fans(?)like you.

• avatar Spacedog2k5 says:

The problem both you, as well as Drew Fleming seem to feel, is that I don’t want anything to do with WHO (“Good!Dr who neither wants or needs fans(?)like you.”? Really? Seriously?). That’s not the case. I care about the character, and I just feel that this past season turned the show into more of a soap opera-like mess with a heavy hand of angst thrown in for no good measure.

We all know that Moffat can dish out some pretty brilliant stuff. “Blink” and “The Girl in the Fireplace” are two of my favorite episodes. And, while I like this incarnation of the Doctor, as well as companions Amy and Rory, I feel that the direction Moffat has taken the Doctor is in a direction that is becoming less WHO, more generic science-fiction.

So, yeah, I am not done with WHO – there’s still the books, as well as Big Finish’s WHO audios. I just won’t be watching any new WHO until it’s being handled by someone who knows how to write a proper, fun show again!

• Intelligent reply, Spacedog, many thanks for that.

You described a “soap opera-like mess with a heavy hand of angst thrown in for no good measure”

I wonder how you reconcile this description with the 2005 series of Doctor Who? Or 2006, 2007 or 2008? The End of Time?

• avatar Spacedog2k5 says:

Christian -

Granted, WHO under RTD’s “reign” wasn’t much better (I still haven’t forgiven him for Rose and “starry-eyed schoolgirl looks” she was forever giving David Tennant’s Doctor.), but I still think he did some good things in his time (Captain Jack Harkness/Torchwood, bringing an original companions back instead of a character that the Doctor only just met, plus making the Daleks scary again instead of turning them into Skittles with dreams of galactic conquest).

And even though I am not altogether thrilled with the idea of the Doctor married, I still was willing to accept it as part of the canon, just not so soon. It felt rushed, instead of something that should’ve happened. And, judging by comments heard/read, I am not alone in that.

12. avatar Bob James says:

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. To anyone who doesn’t realize what we have, maybe it should go away again, this time forever. And you can watch your navel or some shit that captures your attention, like bright shiny things capture a fools. Whovians, our moment is now, it has never been better, and here’s to the bright future……..

13. avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

I just didn’t really enjoy it, alas. Unsatisfying, over-complicated and just not very exciting overall (and yes, as a Battlestar Galactica fan I do complex thank you very much, but complex has to make sense too and this didn’t really hang together and just felt ‘unfinished’). Nor did the sub-Silver Nemesis ending do much for me either. Doctor Who!???! That’s it? Gaaaaaah!

Frustrating stuff (although at least the River Song story is over now…)!!!!!

14. avatar ChrisM says:

I liked it. River can now come back as a character in future stories, rather than be the story itself. Good reset allowing it to move on to stories and character rather than being about plot. And it looked fantastic.

15. What a load of nonsense so humans have mastered time travel.Built shape shifting robots whom travel through time punishing the wicked despots ect?Wouldnt this create havoc with the squbbly wibbly time line thingy?Oh an thease avenging messalaters are driven by miniture humans,As that woman in S Kings Misery would say Dirty Birdy cheats…………

• @ecossie possie did you stumble here by accident? New to Doctor Who? Humans have had time travel in the WHoniverse since the future scenario conveyed in The Talons of Weng Chiang (1977) and of course Jack worked for the Time Agency (referenced in the same story). And of course River has a time machine of the same design as Jack… meanwhile miniaturizing has been achieved several times, again in the classic era.

or perhaps you’re just drunk?

16. I realise humans have had time travell .My point was thease tessalater robots make no sense .If they go about killing evil people from history,Either they would have to replace them an reenact there evil deeds or change history.Also how would the Doctor remain inside the tessalater robot when history changed ?Im 52 an have been a Dr Who fan since the first episode also a non drinker though thanks for the speculation.

• avatar Paul says:

You may have been watching since Hartnell, but you haven’t been paying attention. They made a point in Let’s Kill Hitler of explaining that the Tesselator did not kill the criminals, but ‘gave them hell’ — in other words, subjected them to the punishment they deserved, without screwing up the time lines.

So off you go now and invent some other reason for criticising the episode…

• avatar cosmic hobo says:

Right on Bro!

17. avatar Mystic says:

I was a bit disappointed, but the episode wasn’t horrible. First, it did all feel a bit rushed. I would have rathered a special 2 hr season finale. 2nd, the robot faking the doctor’s death was too predictable. I thought of that as well as the death being of the other Doctor created by the white goo (The Almost People) – but I was hoping for something more involved and unpredictable.

All that being said, there were things I liked. I absolutely loved the piece where River pours her heart out to the doctor right before he marries her. I would have liked more time to have been spent there. It felt too rushed. I liked Rory’s character in this timeline. I like him tougher and not the nerdy dork he is in the regular timeline (felt the same way about Mickey – preferred Ricky).

As for future stories, I would love the Doctor to every now and then go back and tie him in with a previous Classic Who story. For example, he promised to go back one day and release the Time Meddler. What’s a better moment than at a time when there are no more timelords. Or maybe a story that deals with what happened in the last part of the Chase where the Mechanoids (on Mechanus) were left there to prepare for humans to colonize the planet, but humans never came. We could see what happened through a different doctor returning to a previous point.
    Also we’ve had enough seasons that it might be nice to have a reunion with a classic doctor (before they all die) or even a look alike. I think tie-ins work well as they teach newcomers to the rich history that doctor who has. And quite frankly, The Five Doctors is one of my favorite episodes of all time.

• avatar Paul says:

Or, to summarise: ‘More fanwank please!’

(Thank you Craig Hinton, RIP. I will never forget the video weekends and ‘maximum power!’)