Doctor Who News no image

Published on October 13th, 2011 | by Andrew Reynolds

The Leather Clad Doctor

Daaaarrrllinng, Tweed is soooo 2010.

Matt Smith is looking for a change of threads for his Doctor. Speaking at a private viewing of the painfully modern Swedish fashion label Acne’s collaboration with artist Daniel Silver Matt told the Daily Telegraph that he felt ‘stuck’ with the iconic look – a look he had initially shaped himself.

If given carte blanche Matt would like to liberate the Harris Tweed and replace it with a spot of leather (that sound you just heard – that was the combined explosion of a thousand fan fiction writers and a small cottage industry):

“That would be good.”

He wears leather now. Leather is cool.

Thanks to Kasterborous Associate Editor Brian A. Terranova, we can give you a taste of exactly how cool the Eleventh Doctor would look by swapping the Tweed jacket for something more bovine-based.

Looks good, don’t you think? (So good, punpkiny asked if he could borrow the photo for his Eleventh Doctor costume making blog!)

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to The Leather Clad Doctor

1. I knew having a leather jacket would be worthwhile eventually. I guess fashion is indeed cyclical.

2. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

Eccleston’s cornered the leather look Matt…what about suede?

3. avatar Alex says:

Actually if he keeps the bowtie that would actually look really cool. But the tweed-making people would probably get ticked off again and the BBC would have PETA going after them…

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

Until I see what he might actually pick and see it “in action”, I can’t easily accept anything other than what he’s already worn. One of the things that makes Eleven work is the outfit, this contradiction of a young man actually being a very old man and dressing in clothes a few decades out of fashion, and having this (in effect) midlife crisis of wanting to be “cool”.

I wouldn’t want to see Matt wear leather as the Doctor. Eccleston rocked the leather jacket, but that was very recent, and I love how each of the new Doctors has been distinct each other in their look.

I really hope Matt doesn’t change things too radically…

• avatar January Lost says:

I have to make exception of the green coat. I rather like it! However, I do have to admit that part of the intrigue with the new coat relies heavily on the retention of the tweed.

The long-coat harkens me back somewhat through several doctors, most notably the last… even if its a tad too equestrian feeling at a distance for his current character (which of course was unfortunately over done by the stetson). Something a tad more evidently ‘period’ inspired would have been wonderful, but the green coat does have an old world charm and seriousness too it that evokes a good darkness into him.

I would be quite taken aback by 11 in leather. It doesn’t suit him at all! Hope that never happens…. :O

Kudos to the photo editor!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Well yes, I failed to mention that I also love the long green coat. It’s different, but still fits with Eleven’s “look”. I just hope if he does press for a change in wardrobe, it isn’t anything drastic.

5. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

As A VEGAN the new coat could be Simulated Leather (but I dont want to use the words PVC for obvious reasons)

there are a lot of companies who make Vegan coasts and shoes and books and belts etc.

it dosent have to be Bovine

• avatar Ratfink says:

Doubt it would be bovine, it’ll more likely be some space creature’s hide.

6. avatar farsighted99 says:

Matt looks good in ANYTHING. He can rock pink, just name it, he looks good in it.