Doctor Who News no image

Published on September 17th, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

So: is This the End?

Warning – if you haven’t yet seen The God Complex, do not read any further. This article refers to events and revelations that occur in the episode, and we would have for you to find out anything in advance of watching the episode!

And with that, he was gone.

If you were expecting next week’s Closing Time to be a typical Doctor-lite episode in which the companions are otherwise occupied, you’ll have been surprised to see the Doctor bid farewell to his friends Amy and Rory, not to mention give The Legs and The Nose a new house and car.

The use of the term “god complex” within the episode leads us back to the state of the ongoing narrative in Doctor Who, whereby the last Time Lord has evolved via a war with the Daleks and survivor guilt from care-free explorer into a “lonely god”.

Rumours and counter-rumours have been doing the rounds concerning the presence or otherwise of Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill in Series 7, but regardless of what happens in the final episode of the series, The Wedding of River Song, if the Doctor is to survive the events of Lake Silencio he’s going to need his friends – and after all, they’re already there…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to So: is This the End?

1. The car distracted from the scene for me, but mainly because I share Rory’s taste in cars. Mmm…

2. Si says:

I think it’s telling that when Karen was asked if she’d be back, although she replied in the affirmative, she didn’t imply that Amy would still be a regular.
    I think this *is* the end of Amy and Rory as TARDIS regulars, and I love them, I do (I *really* do), but if it is, I think it’s probably the best time. They’ll be back for the finale, the River storyline will reach some kind of closure (for now, at least), The Doctor will have a one off companion – as per – for Christmas, then we’ll move on next year, though, considering *why* he’s left Mr and Mrs Williams, it’ll be interesting to see how or why The Doctor acquires his next travelling companion…

3. Nay says:

I was actually not expecting this!! I am going to miss these two as tardis companions. For me, they’re up there with Donna. I’m sure we’ll see them again in the finale, but it’s so hard to leave them! This is my first season watching doctor who while it’s actually on tv, I had bought the rest of the seasons on DVD, and It’s heart-breaking:( Thank you Amy and Rory, for being such amazing companions<3

4. Ratfink says:

Personally i’m finding this Doctor a bit different as he is always being overshadowed by his companions. I would really like an episode where the Dr gets to be the main character, like the pre-Matt Smith days.

• @ratfink – surely you mean the pre-christopher eccleston days? the companions have been the main element of Doctor Who since Rose

5. gavinio says:

If only it was the end. The character of Rita showed more in her 30 plus minutes in terms of being a likeable, companion like figure than Amy has in nearly two series.

6. Rick Lundeen says:

I’m glad to see Amy and Rory moving on–it was done well and yet surprised me. I was hoping that Rita would indeed come aboard the Tardis–she was great! But halfway through, I wondered if that was merely a feint. The second Gillen made a comment about series 7 and her being in it, a lot of people assumed that she would be a regular. Folks tend to forget that that’s the way these things work.

The Doctor, though, is really getting to the point where he’s realizing more and more that it’s way too dangerous to bring companions on board! The 10th Doctor gave up companions after Donna and we saw how that turned out. Now 11 is facing yet another crisis and hurriedly dumping people off quickly before they get killed. I wonder: is THIS why he ends up with River? Think about it, she and he share a special bond, she’s part Time Lord and it’s a whole different ballgame. Maybe he spends a big chunk of his life with her and only after that, some time down the road, after yet another regeneration, does he once again start fresh, like he did with Amy right after his last regen. Maybe only then can he start again, because he’s lonely.

7. Jonathan says:

Isn’t it actually the beginning? This season saw Amy and Rory having already left the Doctor. The way the scene was played made it seem like this was the first time they had all parted. Therefore isn’t is more logical to assume this is where the younger Doctor from the first episode drops them off. Of course that would create a loop in time where Amy and Rory are actually leaving the Tardis before they got onto the Tardis in this seasons first episode…oh now my brain hurts.

• ChrisL says:

That was my thought as well when The Doctor presented them with a house… actually my first thought was “hang on, they’ve already got a house. What’s he doing?”
      I then realised, as you suggested, this must be prior to “The Impossible Astronaut” and this is the house in which we first see the Ponds receive the letter in the blue envelope!

It was at that point that my brain went into meltdown as I struggled to put everything from this series into some sort of chronological sequence.

I have now given up trying to second guess Mr Moffat and will just relax and let the final two episodes of this series unfold before my befuddled eyes and hopefully marvel at the complexity of his timey-wimey brilliance.

Who knows, the muddled mess of Mels & her ridiculous backstory may actually make sense at the end of this series – Moffat is capable of anything, it seems :-)

8. Jonathan says:

This might explain why Matt Smith has been saying in nearly every interview “The payoff is huge” referring to the final episodes. Plus Moffat has said he’s wanted to play with the sequence of the show from the very beginning. It is all very exciting.

Oh, and one other thing. I’m still not convinced that those non-existent biting fish from the Christmas episode aren’t somehow the Silence…well but The Silence isn’t really The Silence are they since The Silence is a religious organization. We don’t really have a name for those creatures do we…

9. ChrisL says:

Speaking of “The Silence”, could it be possible that the lyrics to the beautiful “Abigail’s Song” from A Christmas Carol are a warning or prophecy for The Doctor?
    The song, whilst being beautiful, didn’t make a great deal of sense lyrically… not until now!

Now that The Doctor is by himself once again the lyrics “When you’re alone, silence is all you know” suddenly start to sound more ominous. In fact, as we all know, the lyrics continue in a similar vein throughout the song and, for me at least, may have more weight to them than previously thought.

10. I think the biggest problem in the episode was that it was too easy for the Doctor to take Amy’s faith away from her.

But so many of the problems in the narrative of this episode stem directly from the writers having no idea of Amy as a character, as I discuss in more detail here:

• gavinio says:

The ‘taking the faith away from the companion’ has become a far too over-used plot device in Who across all its media ever since The Curse of Fenric. However, as Terrace Dicks often says about Mac Hulke: “What you need to write TV is a good, original idea, however it does not have to be your good, original idea” (or words to that affect!)

• Alex says:

@gavinio It’s possible the “destroy the faith” gambit has been used again in the audios or novels, but as far as I can recall it was only ever used before on TV in Curse of Fenric. If anything the series has overused the “the Doctor is virtually God to the companion” ploy a bit too much (see The Parting of the Ways). I thought it was perfectly handled in this episode and completely in tone with the character of Amy because she has over-beatified the Doctor, and not only does she realize this, she GOT what the Doctor was up to, as opposed to Ace who had to endure being called an “emotional cripple” by the Seventh Doctor (a line of dialogue I still consider the most shocking in the show’s 48-year history which resulted in me considering the Doctor a right bastard for the remainder of Series 26). As a result of Amy understanding, this not only worked to save the day, but if anything it strengthened the friendship between the Doctor and Amy.

11. Rob says:

Good riddance, i have been a fan since 1972 and it is now goin back to the Colin Baker days which killed off the series in the late eighties, bad story lines, bad acting and no idea

• Rob: as your reply has no basis in reality, do you think you could back it up with some facts?

12. TonyS says:

I’m not sure most of us will ever know what killed off “Doctor Who” in the 1980s. There were a lot of factors and it is simplistic and unfair to blame it all on bad scripts and bad acting. Colin Baker’s stories in the Big Finsh range show what a good Doctor he could have been. He said at the beginning that he intended a long stay and that his Doctor would develop as time went on. Unfortunately, this was denied him. He did have some stinkers of scripts. But he also had some every intelligent and well written stories. Let us not also forget that the Controller of the BBC was on record as not being a “Doctor Who” fan. Let us not also forget that it had run for twenty six seasons to that point.

13. Spaceman says:

I have greatly enjoyed the series since it’s return in 2005. (Being a regular viewer/fan since Green Death) And have enjoyed all the Doctors for varying reasons. Matt has rapidly become “My Doctor”. Yes I use that term, I know it’s normally associated with the Doctor you first see or as in my case the one you really take too.
    The moving on of companions is a regular occurence and the thought of Amy & Rory (A sort of, please note there, latter day Ian & Barbara.) is both good and bad. Like Ian & Barbara I have enjoyed their time with the Doctor. And believe there is more scope for them. But I think the time is coming where we need to reign in the story arcs. And wibbly wobbly timey whimey, jumping about. And the over(please note) emotion story lines (I refer to Rose and Doctor) and the “God like” persona of the Doctor and get back to series adventures of yore.
    Not because I’m a purist of classic Who, but because I worry there is a danger of becoming a one trick pony or stale in story telling. Which could have an effect on regular non fan viewers. Balance it between or over coming seasons.
    As I have said I have enjoyed the series and story telling since 2005. But we need to get back to adventures.

14. Jane says:

Funnt how some people refer to Amy and Rory as the ‘Ponds’ when in actual fact they are the ‘Williams’ as per Rory’s surname.

• @Jane – except of course Rory concedes in The Big Bang that he is, in fact Rory Pond?