Doctor Who News no image

Published on June 7th, 2011 | by Meredith Burdett

Moffat’s Threats?

Another year and another bit of divided fandom in the Doctor Who world that has split a lot of people’s opinion up. Last year it was over whether Matt Smith would be any good as the Eleventh Doctor, the year before that it was smaller things like “was it the Rassilon that the Doctor was fighting?”.

This year, a whole new split has appeared over the reveal of who River Song actually is. Let’s face it, as fun as the secret was, Moffat made an excellent point in Doctor Who Confidential when saying that he wanted to layer the reveal so that it wasn’t an ending to the story at all but more over a breather to give followers of the story of River Song and the Doctor some kind of reward. It was never going to be quite how we expected it and it was definitely never going to be the end.

But some viewers aren’t all together happy about the situation and have even gone as far as sending out death threats to the show runner to show their contempt at his latest move, which just seems so… silly.

Moff Tweeted:

Unless this is a joke on his part, this does seem like one of the most ludicrous things for anyone to do: “I didn’t like your episode so now I want you dead”?! If you don’t like the show he’s making, don’t watch it.

Besides which, you don’t want to cross Steven Moffat… those stories you hear about him, they’re not stories – they’re true.

Tags: , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

8 Responses to Moffat’s Threats?

1. avatar Gary Sims says:

Hmmm… Guys… It was a joke…

2. Hmmm. Mez is aware that this was a joke, so my money is on the fact that he is himself winding us up as well! What a joker :)

3. avatar 23skidoo says:

I’m sure Moffat was joking, although remember back in 2004 no less than BBC News reported that death threats had been received over the new Doctor Who logo, so who knows?

4. avatar ChrisL says:

I’m staggered that anybody could take Steven’s words literally!
    He was using hyperbole to underline how much crap he’s had to take as the current showrunner.
    Saying “Only one death threat, two demands for my immediate resignation, and two for my suicide… IT’S A HIT!!” was just his way of saying that the show had had a good reaction. The implication being that he usually gets more stick on a normal week than he received after this particular episode.

The danger of this appearing on ‘Kasterborous’ is that one of the raggy ‘red tops’ will pick up on it and report it as true when it was nothing more than an example of Steven Moffat’s unique brand of humour.
    Dear oh dear!

5. avatar Rick says:

I’m sure the Moff was joking as well but let’s not forget dear friends, there are whackos out there that make these threats quite often, especially fans—short for “fanatic”.

…although that’s why the joke works so well! :)

6. avatar Hyncharas says:

I really do wish people would take your advice Meredith, but they don’t. Every franchise has this core group of assholes who don’t like a story simply because it has something they would’ve done differently.

• avatar ChrisL says:

True, every group of fans will contain a percentage of idiots amongst its number. It’s just a pity that these are the very ones who make the most noise and attract the most attention.
      It would be so much better if genius’s such as Steven Moffat were able to just ignore them – unfortunately human nature isn’t like that.

I remember a stand up comedian once spoke about audiences at gigs. He said that you could be having a great gig and have the whole room crying with laughter… but if there’s one person not laughing, one person obviously not enjoying the show, then that’s the face in the crowd you’re drawn to. For some reason it’s impossible to ignore it.
      I suppose it’s similar for Steven Moffat. He has a loyal following of millions hanging on his every word and plot twist, with the vast majority of them loving it. However, the ones who get under his skin, the ones to whom he reacts, are the tiny percentage who choose to complain or find fault with his work.
      As I said, it’s human nature to do so, and as unfortunate as it may be I presume he’s going to continue to react to these annoying people and thereby continue to give them the publicity they crave.

Such a shame because I, for one, am really enjoying what Moffat has done with Dr Who. I am loving the direction he’s taken the show and just hope that he doesn’t take the unjust criticism too much to heart.

I didn’t imagine in my wildest dreams that Dr Who could improve on the Tennant era… oh how wrong I was!
      Series 6 has been absolutely magnificent, with the possible exception of “The Curse of The Black Spot” which was only ‘good’ rather than the exceptional standard of the other episodes.

Keep on doing what you’re doing Mr Moffat, ignore the idiots and continue to make Dr Who the greatest show in town.

• avatar STLShawn says:

Chris, i heard an interview today with some lady on NPR that said that exact thing about stand up comedy.

And i have said it many times here,,,, we die hard fans are such a picky lot. We are the ultimate entertainment connoisseurs that will only accept the best. We expect alot for our time, and Doctor Who is one of the few shining diamonds in this digital wasteland that can provide the level of stimulation, entertainment, action, adventure, and even comedy that we want.

It will never be as good as our memories, but it will someday be remembered by our children who will also (hopefully) have unreasonably high expectations for entertainment. Us long time fans expect the best, and will only settle for the best.

Moffat has to feed an impossible beast.

I could go on about Rush’s near perfect live performances, but that may be a bit too digressive,,,but a good example of only wanting the best quality entertainment.