Doctor Who no image

Published on June 9th, 2011 | by Patrick Riley

Moffat’s Got No Clue (Perhaps)

As part of the ongoing Doctor Who Series 7 scheduling fiasco, it would appear that even the Grand Moff himself has no idea when we’re actually going to see the already-commissioned episodes that follow this autumn’s season finale.  After word got out in Private Eye and The Guardian that the next run may  be split between 2012 and 2013, showrunner Steven Moffat had this to say to SFX:

“I don’t know [when new episodes will air]. If I did know, I wouldn’t tell you. When I do know, what I know will change, so I won’t really know then either. Then it will change again, so I still won’t really know. And if, secretly, I’d really known all along, I’d still be telling you I don’t know, because everything I said I knew, could be wrong, so I’d never really have known in the first place.”

I think he might know something…

But frankly, we don’t.  To sum up what we’ve gathered out of this whole drama-scheduling drama, Private Eye initially put into question whether we’d get a 2012 series of Doctor Who at all, which caused the BBC to attempt to muffle the media by sending a message through the town criers that the next fourteen episodes had indeed been ordered, but they conveniently forgot to specify when they’d been commissioned for.  And it seems that, for whatever reason that may involve budget setbacks, office politics, and/or something else entirely, Auntie Beeb herself doesn’t actually have so much as a rough estimate of what time of year Season 33 will appear on our screens; she’s just saying, “Yeh.  I’ll get around to it eventually.”

To put things into perspective, roughly this time last year we had already been hearing about filming plans for A Christmas Carol, with Moffat hard at work on the script.  What have we heard about so far this year?  Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill all seeking out work elsewhere.

We could go on and on about this for ages (what do you mean we have?! – Ed) but for now, let’s just look forward to Let’s Kill Hitler, and let The Grand Moff and team worry about everything else.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Patrick is a temporal hitchhiker who spends most of his time in the future. His favourite Doctor is the Fourteenth. If you're especially lucky, you might even hear him tweet to all you merry folk in the past @10PatrickRiley.

8 Responses to Moffat’s Got No Clue (Perhaps)

1. avatar AspieMum says:

So unless why the Tardis exploded is delt with in the Autumn we may never know (and The Doctor did say there was still that to sort out at the end of Series 6). I hope all this does not mean the end of Doctor Who- there will be a lot of annoyed fans if it does and I wouldn’t want to ever go to a Doctor Who Convention ever again if I was Steven Moffit if that happened (he would not be welcome).

2. avatar AspieMum says:

Typing error- I meant at the end of series 5 he said that

• Hi AspieMum – not to worry, I don’t think Doctor Who is going to end anytime soon, but even if it did, why wouldn’t Moffat be welcome at conventions? None of this seems to be his fault.

3. avatar Hyncharas says:

I don’t think people should convince themselves next year is going to be the same as every other year of Doctor Who, because it won’t. Why? Because it’s the 50th Anniversary.

The BBC should not be obliged to tell fans when the next season happens or how it’s going to happen… it’s not our business.

• Hi Hyncharas – I know it FEELS like we’re almost there, the way it’s been reported on all the fan sites, but we still have yet to technically hit the 48th anniversary… Next year will be the 49th ;)

4. avatar IanOTimelord says:

We know for certain that Doctor Who will return next year.
    As for the Christmas episode well if I am not mistaken didn’t The Runaway Bride film in July?
    I reckon all will (I hope) be revealed in next months Doctor Who magazine.

5. avatar ChrisL says:

I’ll admit to being worried about this.
    As a fully paid up member of ‘pessimists are us’, whenever I read an article such as the one that appeared in Private Eye I can’t help thinking there may be some substance to the rumours.

My main concerns stem from the fact that Steven Moffat is currently writing more Sherlock scripts and, although the christmas specials aren’t usually filmed until around July/August, (as pointed out by IanOTimelord), surely the framework of ideas should be in place for this episode by now. Surely the script should currently be being worked on in order for filming to begin at the usual time?

However, I really can’t see the BBC giving up on such a lucrative cash-cow as Dr Who has become and if the problems stem from internal politics, as the Private Eye article suggests, then somebody needs to instigate a collective ‘banging together of heads’ and sort this out.

If Dr Who is allowed to fade away after such a spectacular re-birth it’s nothing short of criminal and I, for one, will be absolutely gutted.

6. avatar AspieMum says:

Patrick Riley to me the article seemed to say it was. May be it was just me misunderstanding- I don’t understand things the way most people do anyway as I have Aspergers Syndrome (hence the AspieMum as an Aspie is a person with Aspergers Syndrome).