Doctor Who no image

Published on May 20th, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

Why Does Rory Die?

Could the weekly demise of Rory Pond be down to the creative machination of The Grand Moff?

The Rebel Flesh writer Matthew Graham certainly thinks so! Speaking to SFX, Graham reveals that he suspects the Doctor Who showrunner is killing Rory for a reason.

“Does he (Rory) die in every episode? I suppose he does! He does die a lot. That’s a good point. You know what, with any other showrunner I’d say, ‘Oh, I don’t know, they probably don’t know what they’re doing.’ But if anyone has a masterplan about Rory’s multiple deaths, it’ll be Steven. But I will be the last to know.”

Whether or not this is a veiled reference to Rory dying at some point in Graham’s two-part adventure isn’t really a spoiler, as there has only been two episodes (that we can think of) in which Rory hasn’t gone for a Burton.

As for the supposition that Steven Moffat has an ulterior motive for killing Rory… well, might he just dislike him…?

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to Why Does Rory Die?

1. avatar Rick says:

He’s died so many times now that there’s really no surprise at all. Him dying once again in Doctors’ wife was actually boring!

2. avatar 23skidoo says:

I’d like to think it’s Moffat responding to all the people complaining last year that he never killed anyone off. That said, my real hope – because I have a warped sense of humour – is that it’s all accidental and no one realized! Sort of like a mutated version of “Bad Wolf”.

Thing is this is Moffat we’re talking about. And I still say that after what he did with the “missing coat” issue in Series 5, that we really can’t take anything for granted, whether it be Rory dying, or the TARDIS talking about her doors opening outwards.

3. avatar TimeChaser says:

The ways of the Moff are mysterious and unknowable to us mere mortals…

I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a plan. Darned if I can figure out what it is though.

4. avatar krumstets says:

This is to soften up the more sensitive members of the audience for Rory’s FINAL demise.
    Maybe…..

5. avatar IanOTimelord says:

SPOILERS!! Thought you were not going to do anymore?

• Nothing here but speculation, Ian. Without which, fandom would be very quiet…

6. avatar IanOTimelord says:

Christian whoops! Sorry I miss read, it was very late when i posted. But I hope Rory don’t die again.