Doctor Who no image

Published on May 7th, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

Companion Spoiler?

It’s not exactly the big news that the departure of Billie Piper was, leaking out months before the fact, but with the casting of Karen Gillan as Jean Shrimpton in an upcoming BBC biopic and now the news that Arthur Darvill is gearing up to play Mephistopheles in an upcoming production of Doctor Faustus at the Globe Theatre, the question has to be: who’s next?

As much as we like adore Karen Gillan, Amy Pond without Rory just wouldn’t be right, and there is every chance that now Doctor Who Series 6 has wrapped both Gillan and Darvill could be looking for long-term projects elsewhere.

Obviously we don’t know what is going to happen in episode 13; it isn’t likely to air until November time, but with a new series probably shooting from June/July expecting both Karen and Arthur to be available for Doctor Who while taking part in their respective new projects doesn’t seem feasible.

So – is a new companion imminent for the Doctor? Has he or she already been cast as an “incidental” character in the series finale?

We’ll have to wait and see…

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Companion Spoiler?

1. avatar 23skidoo says:

But do we know for certain that the next season will start shooting in the summer? There’s some indication the split season won’t be a one-off experiment, so the schedule we’ve come to know doesn’t necessarily apply anymore (witness the fact Series 6 production only just wrapped last week – if I recall correctly previous seasons usually wrapped by March). Certainly there’s nothing to be read into the news that Karen’s filming a movie this month since there’s no DW production this month.

All that said, no companion in the revival has gone past 2 full seasons, and even in the original series that was a rarity, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they were moving on.

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

As much as I love the team of Eleven/Amy/Rory, if this season is the last for the Ponds, then that’s how it is, as long as they get a good send-off (no repeat of what happened to Donna, please).

Just as part of the fun of Doctor Who is getting to know a new Doctor each time he regenerates, it’s also fun to meet a new companion and watch them get to know this eccentric alien and his amazing blue box.

3. avatar halfchaldo says:

This is the worst news. I hate when actors do this.

4. avatar Dylan says:

I can’t believe they’re going!!! they are my favorite partners and honestly i think they’re brilliant… I hope they come back

5. avatar Susan says:

I can honestly say I have never hated a character more than Amy Pond. This isn’t to cast any aspersions on Karen Gillan, who by all accounts is a lovely person, but OMG, Amy made me physically ill. I can only hope “The God Complex” isn’t jerking our chain, and she’s really, finally gone. Now all I have to do is gird myself against future cameo appearances.

I will miss Rory, however. I wish both actors well in their future projects.

6. avatar Linda says:

loved Rory-truly disliked Amy. thank goodness we will get a new person. I will miss Rory.

7. avatar Amy says:

I loved Amy so much and I think that she was the best companion since Rose! Rory was extremely. gorgeous and I wish both .aren Gillan and Arthur Darvill well in their future. careers. I don’t. really want them to leave and I will miss them both a lot x

8. avatar Melody says:

I agree with Amy completely. Karen Gillan was brilliant and Arthur Darvill was gorgeous and the best! Good luck Kazzer and Darvill