Doctor Who News no image

Published on April 16th, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

Master Restitution?

Could John Simm return to Doctor Who as the Master? That’s the impression we get from series chief Steven Moffat, who at the recent screening in New York was asked about this very possibility.

With Doctor Who Series 6 approaching and talk of the Silence and the Cybermen it is great to be reminded this show is bigger than the next series – there is a wealth of history to refer back to, including the Master’s ability to cheat death.

When asked about the possibility of former Life on Mars star John Simm making a return as the Master, Moffat recalled Simm’s previous comments on the prospect of a return.

“After [his last appearance] he’d been saying, ‘I think now that David [Tennant]‘s left as the Doctor, I would have to leave the Master’.

“He [later] pulled me aside and said, ‘I didn’t mean that! Look at me, I’m fit, I’m okay!’”

Which is great news, and probably something that only requires a script – after all, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes co-creator Matthew Graham is on board this time around with the two parter The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People.We don’t think it would take much to persuade John Simm to return…

What do you think? Are you ready to see the Master return to Doctor Who – and if so, how exactly do you think he survived the events of The End of Time?

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Master Restitution?

1. krumstets says:

Yes, bring him back. Just a little less manic next time. John Simm’s Master still has plenty of mileage left.

2. johnoed says:

I think John Simm did an excellent job as the Master but if that character were to return I’d like to see someone else take on the role. You can’t have the Doctor regenerate into a new body every time he dies but the Master keeps the same body.

3. Bow Ties Are Cool says:

Simm said in a DWM interview last year that he’d come back and regenerate if he was asked. Whether he’d come back for a full episode, I don’t know.

4. Andrew says:

Why not, if Anthony Ainley was able to keep coming back over 3 Doctors, why not Simm? I’d be interested to see what Moffat could do with the Master.

5. Andrew says:

Oops, should correct myself, Anthony Ainley of coursed faced 4 Doctors.

6. ChameleonCircut says:

I think he might make a return in season 7 and Moffat might do something amazing with him. Like…the cracks in time! Ohhh, he could have escaped the Time Lock through the cracks in time, that’s what caused them because I’m still confused about that; how else could it have been done? How else could two points in time and space have touched if there wasn’t something to cause it?
    And the Silence, they wear the same suit as Harold Saxon and they’re a religious order. Who is their God? Who is their Master?

BUT, I WILL WAIT FOR MOFFAT TO CRUSH MY HOPES DREAMS AND THEORIES.