Published on April 3rd, 2011 | by Andrew Reynolds
Mannequin Mayhem DVD Artwork
Artwork for the upcoming Mannequin Mayhem DVD boxset – including the Third Doctor classic’s Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons – has been previewed by 2|entertain.
For those not in the know Spearhead from Space features the newly regenerated Doctor (Jon Pertwee) exiled by the Time Lords to Earth where he teams up with UNIT to investigate aÂ meteor shower that’s strangely connected to a plastics factory.
Terror of the Autons is the first story to feature the Doctor’s Moriarty, the Master (Roger Delgado) who arriving on Earth is at the forefront of a second Auton invasion leaving the Doctor and Jo to face the plastic peril and some deadly daffodils.
Spearhead from Space
- Two commentaries: One with actors Caroline John and Nicholas Courtney and another with producer Derrick Sherwin and script editor Terrance Dicks.
- Down to Earth â€“ Cast and crew look back at the making of this story and how a strike at the BBC studios inadvertently created the only classic series story to be made entirely on film. With actor Jon Pertwee, producers Derrick Sherwin and Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, costume designer Christine Rawlins and assistant script editor (and inadvertent Auton actor) Robin Squire. Narrated by Carl Kennedy.
- Regenerations - From Black and White to Colour â€“ Spearhead from Space marked not only the arrival of a new Doctor but also the transition from black and white to colour. This documentary looks at the challenges faced by programme makers during this period.
- UNIT Recruitment Film (dur. 4â€™ 48â€) â€“ a spoof army recruitment film put together for BBC transmission during Doctor Whoâ€™s 30th anniversary celebrations in 1993.
- Trailers â€“ two trailers for the 1999 BBC2 transmission of the story and for â€˜Doctor Who Nightâ€™ from the same year.
- Photo Gallery
- Coming Soon trailers.
- Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.
Terror of the Autons
- Commentary – With actors Katy Manning and Nicolas Courtney, producer Barry Letts.
- Life on Earth â€“ In this documentary, cast and crew look back at the making of the story and the differences in the way Doctor Who was made in the seventies compared to now.
- The Doctorâ€™s Moriartyâ€“ with the introduction of the Master, the Doctor now had his very own Moriarty, who would be the dark figure behind every story in season eight, and many more beyond that. This featurette discusses the enduring appeal of the character.
- Plastic Fantastic â€“ how did the writers of Doctor Who and other programmes take something as everyday as plastic and turn it against us?
- Photo Gallery
- Coming Soon trailer.
- Radio Times Listings and promotional material in Adobe PDF format.
The boxset will be available on the 9th May and can be pre-ordered from Amazon for Â£17.93!