Doctor Who News no image

Published on April 9th, 2011 | by Christian Cawley

Has the Piper Played?

Bless poor Billie! The former Doctor Who hottie has apparently struggled to find work since the end of Secret Diary of a Call Girl, citing the financial crisis as a reason.

According to a popular red-top, she believes that the industry has become unpredictable.

“I’m just trying to find a job. We’re back to the drawing board. It’s frustrating, it’s tiring. It’s desperate. You slightly lose your mind.

“You have no confidence, then you have too much confidence. It’s an endless frustration. That’s the nature of the beast. You have to suck it up and get on with it.”

Poor David Tennant, too. He’s busy signing on, isn’t he? Oh no, that’s right – he’s not!

It’s a shame that Rose Tyler has rarely been seen since her numerous comebacks in Doctor Who, but given Piper’s success in other roles such as Secret Diary, the Sally Lockhart adventures and a couple of costume dramas there is surely a major question that needs to be asked:

Is it time to sack your agent, Billie?

Apparently whoever advises Billie tells her that there is no work in the UK (something else attributable to the age of austerity we are now said to be in) and Billie is considering heading to the USA. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen any TV stations closing. In fact we’re in the middle of a period of some of the best televised drama in years.

“Things are getting made a lot faster for less money and there are a lot fewer opportunities for actors,” she added. “There’s not a lot of work in the UK – that’s why everyone’s moving to America.

“It’s where the work seems to be. But it definitely feels like a lot more of a slog to get a gig these days. I suppose that’s a lot to do with our current climate and financial messes. People seem to have to work harder with a lot less time.”

It seems to us that former Kasterborous favourite Billie has two choices:

1. Head to the USA
  2. Call Big Finish

What do you think? Have you got a job for Billie? Let us know!

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to Has the Piper Played?

1. avatar Rick says:

We evidently pay a lot more over here, like ten times what they get over there so I’m guessing that it’s not a matter of there being work, rather that there’s no money over there to her liking.

Shame she can’t do an American accent, otherwise she’d have a zillion more opportunities over here.

2. avatar Andrew says:

I hardly think Billie’s savings are going to dry up anytime soon.

3. avatar krumstets says:

What makes Billie so sure that it’s the economic crisis thats to blame for the lack of work?
    It’s a highly competitive world for actors and when all said and done maybe casting directors are not that impressed with what she has to offer.

4. I have a job for her…

5. avatar krumstets says:

@ kopicbloodaxe..

Phwoarr, Fnarr, Fnarr…Nudge Nudge…*winks*

6. avatar Andrew says:

@ kopicbloodaxe… Sorry I booked her first!

Our last nanny has moved.

What were you all thinking?!

7. avatar ChrisL says:

Is there a queue I should be joining to avail myself of Ms Piper’s services?

It’s clearly time to start a campaign to have Rose Tyler return to our screens :-0
    It’s a no-brainer as far as i’m concerned… Billie needs the work, I need to see Rose back in the TARDIS! It’s a win/win situation.

I may be in a minority of one, but hey who cares? I liked Rose. Ha ha ha :-)

8. avatar 23skidoo says:

I have to agree with the writer that there’s got to be opportunities out there. Call Girl is a successful show, and she has the goodwill from Doctor Who still propelling her. I wouldn’t want to see her back on DW if she wants to continue developing her career, but with the large number of British-produced dramas out there like Camelot she could find something. Merlin’s coming back earlier than scheduled – maybe she can find a guest role there. Of course if it’s a lead in a TV series she wants, then I’ll agree with her it’s slim pickings. Tennant tried to get a US TV deal and it fell through, so instead we’ve seen him in a rather varied series of parts ranging from the second St Trinians movie to doing Shakespeare with Catherine Tate.

What’s annoying is this insistence that a British actor to make it in the US has to adopt a British accent. WHY? What happened to the days when the likes of Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee took to the airwaves with their accents intact? Did Jane Leeves have to change her accent on Frasier? No. Tennant ran into this same problem – his attempt at an American accent was probably one of the reasons Rex is Not Your Lawyer sank. So, OK, let him use his Doctor accent, then. When Americans go over to the UK to work, they don’t have to start speaking with a Scottish or Welsh accent, do they? No.