Doctor Who News no image

Published on March 31st, 2011 | by Andrew Reynolds

The Eighth Doctor to Return?

Anyone listening to the first podKast (yes, with a ‘K’) will have heard the esteemed gentlemen of time Christian Cawley, Kasterborous over-lord and podcast renaissance man James McLean sharing their thoughts, good and bad, on Series 5 – which raised the point that a lot of adult drama was missing from that series.

That the Doctor had just escaped death at the hands of the deranged Time Lords one moment and then was busy being all Doctor-y the next.

It’s as if the Time War never happened.

Which brings us to a rumour circulating based partly on the absolutely fantastic trailer for season 6 and the Eighth Doctor’s recent sartorial change.

Believe it or not speculation is rife of a return for the Eighth Doctor.

Now, we’ve all been down this road before so please reach for the salt before progressing any further because there may be many Doctor Who fans after a pinch after this.

In October at a convention in New Zealand the Eighth Doctor himself Paul McGann was on hand to unveil his new costume for the Big Finish audio adventures – who had mostly relied on a picture from the 1996 TV movie. Accompanying the new look was also a BBC approved WETA Workshop model of a signature Sonic Screwdriver.

Now WETA models don’t come cheap so if it was just a prop for a new cover photo it seems alittle ostentatious – adding to the ulterior motives is McGann himself who as never a fan of the original ‘look at me i’m an English eccentric’ on the nose look of his Doctor.

By itself, there’s not much to go on, a costume change and a bit of digging on fans parts but with the release of the new trailer for Series 6 something more interesting has come up.

Doctor Who Series 6 trailer - TARDIS regenerationIf you freeze the clip at around the 37 second mark you’ll see the TARDIS mid-explosion (pictured here, right) with what appears to be Rory and Amy clinging on to each other in the foreground. Only…that’s not Matt Smith’s TARDIS at all.

It’s the “coral” desktop theme of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors (well technically its all of their TARDIS’ regardless of decor).

But let’s back up a bit. Remember that moment in the trailer where a disembodied voice tells the Doctor he’s killed many Time Lords -  cool isn’t it? Anyway judging by the Doctor’s blinding response (I’m not going to type it up. Go on, watch the trailer again…you deserve it) the Time War could just be a central theme to the new series.

And which Doctor was piloting the TARDIS at the beginning of the Time War?

The Eighth Doctor.

When we first met the Ninth Doctor in 2005, he seemed to still be getting to grips with his new face (and the size of his ears) in the brief moment where he peered into the mirror (although that would seemingly have been contradicted by the photographs shown to Rose by Clive which show what appears to be the Ninth Doctor at the launch of the Titanic – unless it didn’t have a mirror onboard or any reflective surfaces?)

Now this does depend on the Time War being a central theme; it could just as easily (and more likely) be the moment the Tenth Doctor became the Eleventh Doctor with Rory and Amy having a  Back to the Future II moment. It also may offer an explanation as to why he exploded mid-regeneration destroying the interior of the TARDIS other than ‘the production team fancied a change.’

Again this is all speculation but feel free to expond your thoughts on the possible return of the Eighth Doctor to our screens…

(via Big Shiny Robot)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to The Eighth Doctor to Return?

1. Carn says:

Another pointless rumour. If it happens then great (for those who are fans of the eighth doctor, I can’t say he’s oen of my faves at all, I gave up on the audios) but if it don’t then it’s all getting hyped up about nothing. Why not just wait til the episodes are on? That ‘new look’ of his in that photo really doesn’t look very good either.

2. YorkshireNed says:

How does a shot of the coral control room lead you to expect the Time War is going to be a theme? What decade do you think this is – The Naughties?

3. IanOTimelord says:

If you look at the trailer again and pause it, just before the bit above at the bottom it looks like a Dalek base with hemispheres which you can just make out and the skirt.

4. 23skidoo says:

Just to add a coal on the fire, this May marks the 15th anniversary of the broadcast of the TV movie…

5. Paul Cavanagh says:

There’s no contradiction to be found in Clive having photographic evidence of the Ninth Doctor’s visit to the Titanic. He’s a time traveler doncha know. So he could quite easily have zipped back to 1912 at any time after he had inspected his ears in Jackie’s front room. Simples.

It would be lovely to see Paul McGann back on the box as the Doctor. Can’t say I believe it though.

I haven’t even seen the trailer yet! Too much working. If only I could get streaming media on these here worky computers!

6. Maxtible Crust says:

It’s got to happen at some point surely, McGann reprising his role in some form or other on TV. I hope it does I like him as an actor and it would be a shame if his appearance in the show ended up being limited to the ‘for one night only’ TV movie and a couple of seconds worth of flashback images…

I don’t know whats going on in the trailer with the coral tardis I’ve avoided watching it (spoiler free this season as much as I can manage) but it certainly is intriguing

7. pj_campbell says:

I’m guessing this is an April Fool’s Joke….Well played, sir. Well played.

8. Joe Siegler says:

Nevermind.

Forgot it was April Fool’s Day.

9. MJStockers says:

But it wasn’t originally posted on April Fool’s Day. It as posted yesterday on the 31st March. I’m guessing though that is a lot of wishful thinking on our parts!

10. Lazarus77 says:

Here’s an idea… what if we’re seeing Eleven’s birth and Rory has been thrown/sent/taken back to that moment for some reason?

11. ChrisL says:

I would LOVE a chance to see the Eighth Doctor on our screens.
    Being a huge fan of the Eighth Doctor, both audio and written adventures (but not so much The Movie)I had always felt slightly cheated that he didn’t get a TV series of his own.
    Unfortunately I don’t really think he will appear any time soon – not that I know anything, it’s just a hunch – although I desperately hope I’m wrong, it would potentially be wonderful.

12. preshey says:

took a snapshot of that picture on trailer and zoomed in. noticed that the person is wearing high heels and a ballerina skirt/Toto. so unless the doctor is a secret ballerina I doubt the eighth doctor is coming back, but it would be nice.

13. preshey says:

took a snapshot of that picture on trailer and zoomed in. noticed that the person is wearing high heels and a ballerina skirt. so unless the doctor is a secret ballerina I doubt the eighth doctor is coming back, but it would be nice.