Gallifrey One, the wildly popular North American Doctor Who convention, will… er, convene for the twenty-second time in Los Angeles this weekend, being formally titled Gallifrey One’s Catch-22: Islands of Mystery.
Fans present at the big event may find themselves fainting twenty-seven times, as there are twenty-seven big (many of them HUGE) names scheduled to attend, listed as follows:
- Fifth Doctor Peter Davison
- Fifth Doctor companions Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric, otherwise known as Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, and Matthew Waterhouse
- Second Doctor companion Jamie McCrimmon, occasionally called Frazer Hines
- Fourth Doctor companion K-9, sometimes referred to as John Leeson
- Third Doctor regular Sergeant Benton actor John Levene
- Eighth Doctor companion Grace Holloway actress Daphne Ashbrook
- Paul Kasey, who played that monster in the new series (you know, all of them)
- Ian McNeice (Winston Churchill in Victory of the Daleks)
- Cush Jumbo (Lois Habiba in Torchwood: Children of Earth)
- Philip Olivier (Hex, various Big Finish stories)
- Sarah Douglas (Elizabeth Meadows in Blood of the Cybermen; the Entity in TARDIS)
- Doctor Who producer Tracie Simpson
- Doctor Who writer Gareth Roberts
- Prosthetics/Special Effects designers Neill Gorton and Rob Mayor
- Torchwood: Miracle Day writers Jane Espenson and Doris Egan
- The Sarah Jane Adventures producer and writer Phil Ford
- Sarah Jane director Joss Agnew
- Torchwood and Doctor Who writer James Moran
- Location manager Gareth Skelding
- Who novelist and script editor Gary Russell
- Big Finish’s Jason Haigh-Ellery
- Former Doctor Who Magazine editor Clayton Hickman
- Who graphic novelist Tony Lee
And that’s just the official guest list!Â If you’re there, you may also encounter some important people not included in the twenty-seven, like documentary filmmaker Ed Stradling, who will be screening his Davison-era documentary, Come In Number Five, presented by David Tennant, to be included in the upcoming Revisitations II DVD box set.Â On top of that, Nerdist podcaster Chris Hardwick might approach you (yes, YOU) on Saturday with a film crew, as he’ll be interviewing Doctor Who fans for a segment on an upcoming episode of The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson!
Sure, Gallifrey One’s attracting a swarm of famous people this year, but what’s equally remarkable is the ten-thousand-times-bigger herd of Who names who won’t be there.Â In most other franchises, twenty-seven is oftentimes the vast majority of semi-recognizable people involved (some don’t even have that many!), but in the Whoniverse, that number barely scratches the surface.Â Just a reminder of how big a show Doctor Who really is.
Gallifrey One’s Catch 22: Islands of Mystery runs Friday through Sunday at the LAX Airport Mariott Hotel.
(via Gallifrey News Base)