Christmas is coming! Christmas is coming!
And, as with any Christmas for any kid (of any age) there has to be toys! Iâ€™ll admit it, Iâ€™m a big kid. Not just at heart, I am a big kid; Peter Pan has nothing on me. So imagine my Christmas list.
Now of course Iâ€™d love some of the big kid toys like a Mac Book Pro or a new wool cap (where has mine gone?) but thatâ€™s not fun enough and Peter Pan would really be looking down at me ready to have the other lost boys kick my skinny behind if I didnâ€™t prove my claim above, so, with that, what would I really like for Christmas (are you reading this Mom? Erâ€¦ Santa?)
1. The Eleventh Doctorâ€™s Flight Controlled TARDIS. This is a beautifully detailed replica of the Eleventh Doctorâ€™s Police Box with some great interactive features. There are a few buttons, or triggers on the ship as you will see when you take it out of the box. The first and probably second coolest would be the button on the bottom.
When you rest the ship on a table you will hear the sounds of rematerialization as the light on top flashes. Then if you pick the ship up the button releases and you can no hear sounds of dematerialization with flashing lights as before. But whatâ€™s cooler than that? The spin dial on the bottom of the ship of course! Rest the ship one your thumb and spin it using the beacon on top as a turn dial and listen to the sound of the TARDIS in flight as you run around your room pretending the thing can really fly! Hours of fun right there.
There are more sounds than those I listed, but I really think you should pick one up to see for yourself.
(Note that this item isn’t available until December 10th)
2. Remembrance of the Daleks Set. How in Rassilonâ€™s name can you ever go wrong with a set of four Daleks? Really? I mean theyâ€™re Daleks for Omegaâ€™s sake! We have the previously released White Imperial Dalek (so what if it was released, itâ€™s a Dalek! The more the merrier!), a Renegade Dalek, the Supreme Dalek and the one the fans have been crying for for years, the extremely sought after Special Weapons Dalek.
Daleks from one ofÂ the Seventh Doctorâ€™s finest story under the Christmas tree? Joy.
3. Revenge of the Cybermen Set. Not one, not two, but THREE Cybermen and a Cybermat!
Well actually itâ€™s one Cyberleader, two Cybermen and a Cybermat from the classic Fourth Doctor adventure, Revenge of the Cybermen (hence the name). Honestly, this is reliving my childhood for me so how could it get any better? The detail on these figures is really quite well done. They look exactly as they should and are certainly a welcome addition to my collection (Mom?)
4. The Eleven Doctors Figure Set. Now this, this is a BIG one, something that I have wanted since I was a little kid and by that I mean about 3 feet tall, as opposed to the 6-ish feet tall that I am now. Why could this set be so special? Come on! Itâ€™s got all eleven actors to play the Doctor in the TV series in one set. All of them!
So you if you donâ€™t have any Doctors this would be the place to start. And if you have a few already, have some lovely variants to compliment your collection.Â Thing is, itâ€™s not only got all eleven Doctors, but it is in fact, the only possible way for you to get your hands on the Eighth Doctor as played by Paul McGann, now for me that is worth the money alone. Say what you like about the TV Movie (Iâ€™m not listening!)Â Paul McGann was superb. All of your favorite Doctors in one set? A dream come true for the kid in all of us.
But, what could possibly beat the Eleven Doctors Figure Set? How could anything top having all the Doctors in one set? Well, being the Doctor yourself surely? Which meansâ€¦
5. The Third Doctorâ€™s Sonic Screwdriver. Oh yes, you read that. Sure weâ€™ve had the Ninth/Tenth and Eleventh Doctorâ€™s Sonic screwdriver, but this is the one that really started it all. Sure the Second Doctor had his own but the Third Doctor is the one who made it a household name (although Tom Baker may have helped a bit there too).
What makes this so cool? Well, it has sound FX and sonic vibrations to recreate the â€œactualâ€ functions of the real deal! All you have to do is pull down the top collar to activate the sounds just like the one used in the show and you are then ready to open locks and fix alien computers or even stop evil robots from taking over what ever it is they want to take over. Bottom line is this is a must for any fan of the show.
Of course the Eleventh Doctorâ€™s Sonic Screwdriver is also on sale now and is quite a lovely piece to have in the collection as well. So depending on where your heart lies or when you got interested in the show, number five could go either way. That is, if you want to make a choice, if you simply must have both versions of this fantastic toy, I doubt anyone would blame you.
There you have it, my top five toys for my Christmas list. Iâ€™m glad I am still a kid, because if I was a proper grown up, Iâ€™d be wishing I was still a kid today. Because the kids today are so lucky with Doctor Who compared to when I was their age. These are great times we live in now, enjoy them to the fullest.
(Note that many of these items are only available in the UK and Ireland from the linked websites)