Published on November 5th, 2010 | by Meredith Burdett
Secrets of Series 5
Now apparently, weâ€™re not to know this until at least Monday but there are some nice little â€œThings we learnt about Series 5â€ Doctor Who facts that are revealed by viewing the Blur-ay or DVD release of the newest series on 8th November.
However, because weâ€™re so fond of our readership (and also because we really wanted to read what these unknown and brand new facts that we didnâ€™t yet know about Doctor Who were) we thought weâ€™d print them ahead of time as a small treat for the weekend. Something to whet your appetite letâ€™s say. There are some that may be considered mildly spoiler-ish so if you donâ€™t want to know anything at all until Monday then look away… now.
1. There will be a speech in the Christmas special about the Doctor not having a hat.
2. Matt Smith calls Karen Gillen â€œPlumpy sparrowâ€ because she likes to eat but doesnâ€™t put on weight.
3. The â€œJeff co-ordinates the experts via his laptopâ€ scene in The Eleventh Hour was originally going to take place in a classroom full of kids (without the porn references)â€¦
4. Also in The Eleventh Hour, during the video conference, the guy above Patrick Moore is the directorâ€™s brother.
5. The cave corridors in the Silurian two-parter were redressed corridors from the Byzantium in the Weeping Angels two-parter (thatâ€™s why theyâ€™re both circular).
6. Karen calls her chin her â€œpluralâ€ because she thinks she has a double chin.
7. The Tennant-era TARDIS makes an unscheduled cameo appearance in The Time Of Angels â€“ they used the wrong CGI version in the scene where River flies through space.
8. Matt Smith eats egg and cress sandwiches on set nearly every day.
9. In The Time Of Angels Matt Smith really did bite Karenâ€™s hand. Her scream was for real.
10. The gondolas in The Vampires Of Venice were filmed in Caerphilly Castle moat and CGIed in later.
11. The Pandorica Chamber was the biggest set ever built for Doctor Who to date.
12. Matt bought a copy of football mag Match as a Secret Santa present.
13. Karen bought Matt a Katherine Jenkins calendar.
14. The line about the â€œfinal resting place of the Headless Monksâ€ in The Time Of Angels was texted by Moffat to the crew when producer Piers Wenger felt that the ecclesiastical location needed some explanation.
15. Amy learnt about all the Doctorâ€™s previous companions in-between Flesh And Stone and The Vampires Of Venice.
16. Mark Gatissâ€™s favourite colour is orange.
17. The Silurian voiceover during Cold Blood was a post-filming addition, scripted by Steven Moffat.
18. Mark Gatiss has been trying to sneak the phrase â€œarrows of the half-lightâ€ into a script for years (he failed again with Victory Of The Daleks â€“ it was cut).
19. Alex Kingston was worried she would look like mutton dressed as lamb as Cleopatra.
20. Originally the book the Doctor finds in The Time Of Angels was going to have been written by one of the warrior clerics whom the Angels had sent back in time.
So, there you have it, some lovely little factoids to start your weekend off with. Now all you have to do is brave out the next two days and then finally, the Doctor Who Series 5 DVD or Blu-ray boxset will be yours (said in the voice of Herr de Flores from Silver Nemesis)…