Doctor Who News no image

Published on November 21st, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

“Most Ambitious Season Opener Yet!”

Doctor Who’s trip to Utah and other parts of the USA is attracting the type of attention you would expect, with showrunner and Exectutive Producer Steven Moffat winding the fans up even more in the latest DWM!

As you might have gathered with Matt Smith’s recent appearance on the Late Late Show, cast and crew are in America to shoot the first two episodes of the next series of Doctor Who. Matt is joined in the USA by Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill as Amy and Rory as we see the TARDIS three-way dynamic restored!

Shooting commenced Stateside last week and to coincide with the publication of Doctor Who Magazine 428 Moffat enthused:

“The Doctor has visited every weird and wonderful planet you can imagine, so he was bound to get round to America eventually!”

“And of course every Doctor Who fan will be jumping up and down and saying he’s been in America before. But not for real, not on location, and not with a story like this one!”

Meanwhile, Arsene Piers Wenger has added that the two episodes would be the

“…most action-packed and and ambitious season opener yet”.

Given that the list of previous openers since 2005 includes such rip-roaring adventures as New Earth and Partners in Crime, we find that hard to believe (…)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Most Ambitious Season Opener Yet!”

1. bluebox444 says:

I’m just assuming that last line was sarcasm.

2. bluebox444 says:

I should add that I loved everything about “Partners in Crime” except the Adipose. The interplay between the Doctor and Donna in that episode is classic.

3. Charlie says:

Yeah Partners in Crime was great, and I liked the Adipose. It was hilarious. New Earth was let down by people touching each other to cure themselves. But the Cassandra story was good. And Smith and Jones was one of the best episodes of that season.

4. @bluebox444 – yes, read that line with as sarcastic a tone as you can :)
    @Charlie – “let down by people touching each other to cure themselves”??? So not by the “ethereal gob body swapping” or the extremely rubbish “Boe’s got a message for me but he’s not telling after all”?

I’ll give you Smith and Jones though, very good episode.

5. Paul Cavanagh says:

Partners in Crime is marvellous. I struggle to work out how to place it in my favourite season opener list, but it’s either one or two, competing only with Rose. I do think that I’ve watched Partners in Crime more than any other episode though.

6. Leosw4 says:

Partner’s and Smith and Jones where great fun-New Earth, well I thought it was rubbish, embarrassing even (half expecting ‘Thriller’ to kick in as the zombies marched, sorry:(

7. Carn says:

Smith and Jones is among my least favorite episodes altogether. I just find it totally unmemorable and dull. In fact that series is my most mixed as it’s mostly episodes I just don’t care for (and I loathe Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords) but then it has episodes like Human Nature that I count among my all time classics. I found New Earth quite fun and Partners in Crime. Rose was ok but I think I like it more because it kick started the new era more than I like actually watching it. The Eleventh Hour trounces them all by far. I’ve watched that one a ton of times and I never get bored.

8. Fascinating mix of opinions here; I find Rose a particularly successful episode of a series that is some episodes from finding its feet. Although curiously it’s not very long. Even with the additional “I can feel it” scene between the Doctor and Rose, the episode struggles to hit 38 minutes before the trailer kicks in.

9. castellanspandrell says:

Partners in Crime? Are you lot having a laugh? I mean, the Adipose – really? And that scene where they burst from the fat woman’s stomach, and the newsreader, straight-faced, telling everyone that ‘fat is walking?’

The Dr and Donna seeing each other again for the first time is great, though, and the lift scene on the side of the building is neat.

Smith and Jones, dull, and one of your ‘least favourite’ ever, Carn? Have you seen all the episodes of Dr Who (or at least all the existing ones?) Delights such as The Krotons, Warriors of the Deep, Terror of the Vervoids, The Time Monster, Arc of Infinity…..need I say more?

(I love Smith and Jones! Can’t really explain why, though; must be the Judoon).

We’ll pass over New Earth. ;)

‘Rose’ – remember after all the hype, watching this and thinking ‘Is that it, then?’ In retrospect, it does its job as an intro to the new version of Who, but still not a favourite.

The Eleventh Hour has to be the best season opener they’ve done so far, but I expect the next one to top it.

10. castellanspandrell says:

Opening with a 2-parter is an inspired move, and one that nuWho has been crying out for.