Published on September 7th, 2010 | by Christian Cawley0
The Seeds Of Doom on DVD
Featuring fan favourite Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Lis Sladen as Sarah Jane, The Seeds of Doom will be available on DVD from 25th October, priced Â£19.99.
This is a very exciting release, and one that is packed with a wealth of un-missable extras – this 1975 classic recently topped a Doctor Who Magazine poll for the most requested DVD release…
Itâ€™s 20th Century Earth and a research team based in the Antarctic unwittingly digs up two mysterious pods which have lain buried in the snow for twenty thousand years.
Yet the identity of the pods is no mystery to the Doctor, they are Krynoid, a hostile, alien species of life. The Doctorâ€™s fears are confirmed when one of the pods opens and attacks a scientist.
Unfortunately, the Doctor is not the only one interested in the seeds – an insane millionaire, Harrison Chase, is desperate to get his hands on a pod at any cost – even murder. But why?
As the remaining pod hurtles to England, splitting open to reveal a ferocious Krynoid carnivore, can the Doctor arrest its development? As its strength grows every moment, it threatens to turn Earth’s vegetation hostile too. Its germination could jeopardize the security of mankind itself…
This exciting adventure is presented over two discs and includes some fantastic specially created content including a making of with cast and crew and audio commentary from the main cast including Tom Baker and John Challis, whose appearance on the DVD let the cat out of the bag several months ago!
Following is a list of the considerable extras accompanying this release:
* Commentary - stereo. With actors Tom Baker, John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Michael McStay, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, replacement designer Roger Murray-Leach and Joggs Camfield (son of the director, the late Douglas Camfield).
* Isolated Music â€“ option to watch the episode with the isolated music score.
* Programme subtitles.
* Subtitle Production Notes.
* PodShock (dur. 37â€™ 15â€) â€“ cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Ian Fairbairn, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, production assistant Graeme Harper, original designer Jeremy Bear, design assistant Jan Spoczynski, visual effects designer Richard Conway and composer Geoffrey Burgon.
* Now and Then (dur. 8â€™ 56â€ ) â€“ our long running series visits Athelhampton House, a quarry in Reigate and the BBC Television Centre to explore the locations used in The Seeds of Doom.
* Playing in the Green Cathedral (dur. 10â€™ 03â€) â€“ composer Geoffrey Burgon talks about his involvement in Doctor Who.
* So What Do You Do Exactly? (dur. 14â€™ 23â€) â€“ ever wondered what the job of a Production Assistant or a Production Unit Manager entails? Graeme Harper explainsâ€¦
* Stripped for Action â€“ The Fourth Doctor (dur. 20â€™ 18â€) â€“ our series on the Doctorâ€™s comic-strip adventures looks at the portrayal of the fourth Doctor in the pages of Doctor Who Magazineâ€™s regular graphic stories. With former DWM editors Dez Skinn, Gary Russell and Alan Barnes, writer Pat Mills, artist Dave Gibbons and consultant Jeremy Bentham.
* Trail and Continuity (dur. 1â€™ 23â€) â€“ an off-air trail for the storyâ€™s first episode and continuity announcements for its fifth.
* Photo Gallery (dur. 4â€™ 46â€) – production, design and publicity photos from the story.
* Coming Soon (dur. 1 min approx.) – a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
* Radio Times Listings and Douglas Camfieldâ€™s paper edit for a compilation version of the story in Adobe PDF format.
Released on October 25th, the cover art is still yet to be released – but you can pre-order The Seeds of Doom for just Â£12.99 on Amazon!