Doctor Who News no image

Published on August 29th, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

More Series 6 “Split” Details

As you will no doubt have heard by now, Series 6/Season 32 of Doctor Who has been split by the BBC and Steven Moffat – resulting in a series at Easter and a follow on in the Autumn.

The announcement was made at the Edinburgh International Television Festival this morning as Steven Moffat and Karen Gillan took part in a Q&A called “Doctor Who: The Masterclass”.

Initially, this has been reported as a split – however, this is not the case, according to Steven Moffat.

“I kept referring to a mid-season finale. So we are going to make it two series – seven episodes at Easter building to an earth-shattering climax, a cliffhanger we could never normally do because it would be too long before it came back. An enormous game-changing cliffhanger that will change everything.

“The wrong expression would be to say we are splitting it in two. We are making it two separate series.”

So there you have it – 2011 will not feature Series 6/Season 32 of Doctor Who. It will, instead, feature Series 6/Season 32 and Series 7/Season 33!

Conspiracy theories about why the BBC are doing this are of course, nothing more than theories. If they wanted to get rid of Doctor Who, the BBC would cancel it. By bringing the show home to its traditional Autumn/Winter setting in late 2011, this is a further demonstration of their long-term committment to the show.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to More Series 6 “Split” Details

1. Carn says:

Seems a bit messy. How many episodes per ‘series’ then?

2. Carn says:

I pressed submit before i finished. I meant it says 7 at easter but does that mean 6 in the second bunch then to make 13 or is the christmas one included to make it 7?

3. The first thing that came to my mind was that this was a move in the right direction to get DW back to it’s RIGHTFUL place on our TV screens in the dark, wet autumn months. Woohoo!

However, I’m in two minds about two shorter series per year. I shall have to have time to absorb this…

4. Leosw4 says:

Maybe in 2012 we will get a full move the Autumn?

I wonder if Steven Moffat’s Sherlock commitments have had an impact?

5. TimeChaser says:

They do the same thing to shows here in the US. You get a “summer finale” and then a shorter wait til the rest of the season. So it’ll probably be the standard 13 episodes, just divided into two halves.

I’ve warmed up more to this idea since I first heard about it. I’m more willing to wait for shorter period for new Who than the long months that drag on between season-Christmas-season.

6. Rick714 says:

I like having DW in the autumn as well and I also like that they’re splitting up that interminable gap between June and Christmas. no need to get complicated and start calling it “two seasons” though. Why even go there? Seems like most things they announced get jumped all over and so many start screaming about the sky falling. I say more power to them and if it works for what Moffat wants to with the story, by all means!

7. johnoed says:

I’m leaning toward a mid-season regeneration.

8. TimeChaser says:

@johnoed:

I’m pretty sure all the rumors of Matt leaving anytime soon are bogus.

9. bobbygaga says:

A very bad idea indeed. We will get hammered by X-Factor and the rightwing tabloids will go mental. Also, does this mean more overpriced box sets?

10. Usually the X Factor starts at 7-8pm, with a game show or Harry Hill’s TV Burp on before. As Doctor Who has been moving between 6 and 7pm during 2010, it is unlikely that this will be an issue.

Also of interest is the idea of the “international X Factor” which ITV/Cowell have been planning for some time. Given the scale of such a show – mooted for 2011 – there is a chance that it will take a “Britain’s Got Talent” nightly format as opposed to the weekly heats.

Of course, this is all academic at the moment as we have no idea what ITV will be scheduling opposite Doctor Who. It might even be Primeval!

11. Carn says:

I want Doctor Who back at 7pm where it should be no matter if it’s split series or not. The scheduling this year was a mess. Needs to be a regular set time.

Annoys me that programmes I can’t stand such as the world cup stuff and Britain’s Got Talent (but they’re busy working on Doctor Who) likely meant I was often missing the show I actually do like cos I never was sure when it was on or when to be home in time.

12. bobbygaga says:

@Christian. I wish I had your faith, I really do. Unfortunately the Beeb have screwed up so much this season that I have lost all faith in them to schedule it properly. Depressingly, I fully expect them to return to the competitive scheduling that blighted Sylvester McCoy’s last season. If we are not pulling in ratings to equal The X Factor then The Scum will have a field day with even more “Doctor Who Ratings Flop” headlines… and we won’t have the excuse of good weather to hide behind.