News no image

Published on August 7th, 2010 | by Andrew Reynolds

Kindle Surprise

Doctor Who on Kindle - The Glamour ChaseFacing stiff competition from Apple’s iPad, Amazon have launched their own UK Kindle Bookstore where users of Amazon’s  (now reduced) Ebook reader, the Kindle,  can find Doctor Who titles and more than 40,000 other books at the lowest prices of any e-Bookstore.

Or so the website claims; so being the ever ready consumer watchdogs that we aren’t; here’s a little test, using Kindle’s Marketplace, Apples iBooks, and as a comparison, the online BBC Book shop and Waterstones we took the three newest Doctor Who Books (Nuclear Time by Oli Smith, The Kings Dragon by Una McCormack and The Glamour Chase by Gary Russell) and compared prices to see if Kindle really does provide more Who for less.

The most surprising thing is that iBooks do not carry the three novels mentioned above*

For the remaining sites here is the run down:

The Kings Dragon

Kindle £3.98

BBC Books £5.49

Waterstones £4.19

The Glamour Chase

Kindle £4.17

BBC Books £5.49

Waterstones £4.89

Nuclear Time

Kindle £4.17

BBC Books £5.49

Waterstones  £4.89

The Waterstones offering is in fact the print version for those of us who still love the feel of a book. The eBook version will set you back £6.75 on their website.

So there are savings to be made using the Kindle.

In July Amazon launched the ‘Kindle Next Generation’ device which was both 15 per-cent lighter with 5o per-cent better contrast than the previous Kindle 2.

According to Amazon the device is now Wi-fi compatible rather than using the cumbersome 3G network connection to download eBooks.

While book prices are low; the device will set you back £109 (about $170).

Other manufacturers have jumped on the eBook reader bandwagon;

Barnes & Noble sells the Nook at $199 in the US, with a Wi-Fi only version for $149. Borders Group offers the Kobo e-Reader for $149, while the Sony Reader Daily Edition costs $250.

So how many Who fans out there would consider using an ebook for the latest novels? How many fans already do? Drop us a line below.

Visit Amazon’s Kindle page to see the full list of available Doctor Who titles.

*I accessed the app using an iTouch and found no links for these three titles; if this isn’t the case then please drop a comment in below.

Thanks to Andy Scarrott.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Kindle Surprise

1. avatar YorkshireNed says:

but really…aren’t we talking about paying out a load of money for eyestrain and for books that are easily lost in data crash?

I love my iPod and would be lost without it but a digital book reader? Forget it. Only if it was way cheaper than buying books would I be interested and with a starting price of over £100, my current opinion is not suitable for family audiences

2. avatar sepulchasm says:

Actually, Kindle’s e-ink technology mimics print on paper, and is very comfortable to read. Also, all your books are available via amazon’s website to be re-downloaded if the worst were to happen. And you can transfer books from your pc via usb anyway.

I can’t wait to have an entire library in my hands when my one arrives. :-)

3. avatar Carn says:

I been reading older Doctor Who novels on my PSP recently. I quite like doing that. I always have it with me anyways when I’m out and about and I don’t like taking my actual books out cos they get a bit roughed up and torn. I find it easier to read them on the PSP screen than on the real page too due to being able to change colors (I read best using white text on black background) and font size.

4. avatar Carn says:

just to say my way is probably not very legal and i can only get older books like that but i do own all of them in paper format bought from store too back in the 90′s.

5. avatar Carn says:

why do i keep pressing submit before I’m done. my brain is broken. I was just saying that I’m quite happy reading books on portable devices. Not sure if I want to buy a device just for that though.

6. avatar YorkshireNed says:

Yes, even if Kindle could offer genuine, eye-relazing technology why would I pay over a hundred pounds for the priviledge?

Yes, there is an advantage in carting round my entire music collection in my pocket but I read one book at a time. I carry an iPod and a book in my bag. Job done. Nearly at the end of the book? I can carry a second book in there. If I think my mood might shift from my current book? It’s okay, I also carry a collection of poetry in my bag. Job done.

7. avatar garoo1980 says:

They’re not for everyone, but for me its awesome. I have a Kobo and I immediately filled it up with the free books of the Beeb’s webpage. I’d never read Scales of Injustice and it was really good.

The Kobo’s screen is great, not like a PC or a tv, its like a written page. And as a plus you can adjust the print size, bigger writing = more pages, smaller writing = fewer pages.

They’ll never kill books but they compliment them very well

8. avatar 23skidoo says:

The other day it was announced that Dorchester, a major US publisher of romances and the acclaimed Hard Case noir novels, would be discontinuing print immediately for e-books. Not a happy piece of news.

If you’re going to buy the Doctor Who e-books, that’s your choice, but I urge you to also buy the print versions. Support BBC Books (and Telos and the other publishers) by showing them print will still sell. Otherwise print books will go the way of the dodo and in 30 years you’ll have people scratching and begging to find copies of lost Doctor Who stories, just like people are scouring the globe for all those episodes the BBC mindlessly destroyed back in the 70s. Except it won’t be videos, it’ll be books that were only released in e-book form.

Even if you fall into the “I don’t want clutter” category, then fine – do what you cannot easily do with e-books and give the print versions as gifts.

Remember you are not buying a permanent piece of property when you buy an e-book. You’re buying a licence to access data for as long as Amazon (or whomever) sees fit. Don’t believe me? Ask those who bought Nineteen Eighty-Four last year only to have Amazon remotely delete the copies because some lawyer said to. For that reason reason alone I’ll never allow one of those things in my household.

• 23skidoo – vital contribution there – do you have a link to the 1984 story?

thanks

9. avatar YorkshireNed says:

I remember buying digital music directly off Prince’s website only for him to oneday decide he didn’t like the internet, shut down his site and discontinued support. So when I changed PC, I could not get licenses for the downloads anymore and the music all became unplayable.