Doctor Who News no image

Published on August 4th, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

Barrowman Loses the Plot

Has Torchwood star John Barrowman lost the plot? Has the prospect of international TV stardom in Torchwood Series 4 gone to his head?

Torchwood's John BarrowmanWhat else is the explanation to his bizarre statement, in response to a question as to who should play him in a movie of his life.

“I would like to think Jake Gyllenhaal would be a good choice. It’s too obvious to say Tom Cruise because people say we look alike.”

To say this is diva-like behaviour is putting it mildly. Naturally as a presenter, actor, singer and dancer, John Barrowman is prone to moments of great self-obsession.

But who in their right minds would watch a movie about John Barrowman’s life, nevermind make one?

Barrowman has also revealed that he would like to play a sibling of Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise in a movie together.

“I’d love to play Tom Cruise’s brother in a movie. His younger brother, obviously!”

As things stand, Barrowman’s head hasn’t yet exploded, so you can still catch him in Tonight’s The Night on Saturday evenings, while Torchwood Series 4 is expected to enter production shortly.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to Barrowman Loses the Plot

1. avatar Bow Ties Are Cool says:

I wouldn’t say that was diva-like at all. For starters, I actually think Tom Cruise does look like him, just shorter. And I doubt it was him who actually said a movie should be made about his life, more likely it was the interviewer.

Having said that, I don’t know a thing about Barrowman’s life, so I don’t know if it would be a good movie or not. I do know he’s a scottish guy who speaks in an american accent, except when talking to his parents. Hey, I’d watch that movie. Sounds like a better movie than ‘Cop Out’ anyway, and if someone greenlit THAT, anything’s possible.

Calm down a bit, guys.

2. avatar Carn says:

He does look somewhat like Tom Cruise even in that picture there. The smile and the eyes are very similar though Barrowman just seems to have more life in his eyes or something. I don’t know how to explain. He definitely could play a brother anyways.

He doesn’t seem diva-ish. I think I’d be pretty happy with myself if I had a career that was doing so well at moment with so much variety in it too. heck at moment I’d just be happy with a career… or a job at all…

3. avatar Jez Noir says:

I might watch a fictional movie based on the filming of Doctor Who, with the Barrowman character as comic-relief, but only if he’s played a hair-dyed Gary Busey.

4. I can see a role as Maverick’s long lost brother in Top Gun 2 looming for the multi-talented Barrowboy :)

5. avatar domino says:

Jeez, what’s Christian’s problem with big JB?? ‘Putting it mildly’? I’d say he’s putting it pretty strongly. John’s asked who’d play him in a movie – he answers. End of ‘diva’-ish behaviour!

TBH, Cruise is way too short, but yes, they look mildly alike. And Gyllenhall would be good, though I’d rather see the movie in which Barrowman and Gyllenhall get – it – on!

6. avatar amber says:

They ask everybody that question- I think he would have looked more diva-ish if he hadn’t answered it or had given a po faced serious “who’d be interested?” type answer.

7. avatar Andrew says:

Christian, I think you’ve clearly misunderstood a very simple interview. It’s a very common question for celebrities to be asked who they would like to see play them in a movie, nothing “diva-ish” in that at all.

8. All: Thanks for your comments – it seems I went too far with this article, and we all know where.

I appreciate your feedback, both setting me straight and as a barometer of how people feel about JB.

Cheers!

9. avatar 23skidoo says:

Listen, if they can do a movie about 16 year old teenpop singer Justin Bieber’s life – in 3-D, no less – then they can do a movie about anyone. I think it’s a little unfair to suggest Barrowman doesn’t have a story worth telling — from what I hear his Anything Goes autobiography has a lot of interesting material that could be turned into a movie. And I agree in certain photographs he does look a lot like Tom Cruise. Frankly, though, if a film were to be made anytime soon I’d say cast John Barrowman has himself.

If Matt Smith were asked this question I bet he’d say Crispin Glover. I saw some photos Glover recently and he looked more like Matt Smith than Matt Smith!