Doctor Who News no image

Published on July 13th, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

Moff’s Christmas

It might only be July, but the thrill of Christmas is already bristling hairs on the back of our necks at Kasterborous Towers as we look forward to the next episode of Doctor Who.

Doctor Who boss Steven MoffatLike a small child using the first week of their summer holidays to write a Christmas list, we’re thrilled by Steven Moffat’s enthusiasm.

“Oh, we’re going for broke with this one. It’s all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon and – oh, you’ll see. I’ve honestly never been so excited about writing anything. “

However we do fee sorry for the people in Steven’s neighbourhood. I wonder if he’s sent property prices down with this behaviour?

I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbours loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I’m fairly sure they did it ironically.”

Meanwhile, Ben Stephenson is Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning, and he’s looking forward to seeing the Doctor and Amy return – although while he doesn’t mention Rory (Arthur Darvill) we understand that he too will be aboard.

“Matt Smith and Karen Gillan captivated audiences in their debut series and Doctor Who’s clever twist on the much loved A Christmas Carol will thrill BBC One viewers this year with special guest stars Sir Michael Gambon and singing sensation Katherine Jenkins joining Amy and the Doctor for an unforgettable present!”

All we need to know now is whether its on Christmas Day…

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Moff’s Christmas

1. Paul Cavanagh says:

It really needs to be a ‘clever twist’. A Christmas Carol is a tale that is told over and over again in various formats (the best being the Muppets version, obviously) over Christmas. Having the Doctor show the Gambon character his past and future via the TARDIS is not ‘clever’, it’s twee, unimiginative, and frankly pants. Let’s hope it doesn’t pan out like that.

2. Cosier says:

I’m hoping that this version of ‘A Chritmas Carol’ has a ‘Moffat-sized-twist’.

Considering that we have the Doctor, along with TWO companions, this could be a clever story line. With the Doctor sent to Christmas’ Past, Rory sent to Christmas’ Present and Amy sent to Christmas’ Future. Then they each have to work out why they’ve been sent their and how they are connected. With the typical Moffat Timey-wimey-ness as events experienced by character effect the experiences of characters in the future.

I’m not saying that this is what is happening (how could I possibly know?) but from what’s been said I’m hoping that it’s something like this. (If not I’ll stick it in a draw until I’m Executive Producer (It could happen!))

3. castellanspandrell says:

A Christmas Carol has already been done before in Who, sort of: Trial of a Time Lord, in which the Dr shows/is shown his past, present and future.

Wonder if we’ll get to see the Egyptian goddess let loose aboard the Orient Express in space?

4. Carn says:

nah, my fave version of A Christmas Carol is Scrooged with Bill Murray. I have to watch it every christmas or else it ain’t christmas at all to me. I demand it be shown at least once on tv even though I own it on dvd.

Am sure Moffat’s got something special in store. His Christmas episode has to be better than Voyage of the Damned anyways.

5. Bow Ties Are Cool says:

While Scrooged is awesome, the Muppets did the ultimate version of A Christmas Carol. Moffat will have to turn his genius up to 11 to beat that film.

6. Carn says:

Well I can’t deny them Muppets are hugely entertaining. :)

Also I really like Blackadder’s Christmas Carol and how it flips the tale and has a really nice version of Blackadder in Scrooge’s role and turned bad as it goes instead of being bad and turning good. And it has Nicola Bryant in it for extra Doctor Who geekiness points. And Rowan Atikinson and Jim Broadbent played the Doctor in The Curse of Fatal Death and who was that written by? Feel like I’m almost doing that six degrees thing there.

7. IanOTimelord says:

How about he meets his otherselves? Past present and future. The future could be the Valeyard lol.
    Best Christmas Carol is with Alistair Sim.

8. Pingback: Matt Smith's Not Leaving Doctor Who | Kasterborous Doctor Who News