Doctor Who News no image

Published on July 20th, 2010 | by Patrick Riley

Gillan: Matt Smith’s Not Leaving

Myth debunking time!  Whether you hate his guts and want David Tennant back or think he’s the best thing since fish fingers dipped in custard, it seems Matt Smith will be “Doctorin’ the TARDIS” for many years to come!

Smith’s co-star Karen Gillan, who goes by the name of Amy Pond in some show we’ve never heard of called Doctor Who, dismissed the recent tale spinning across computers that suggested Smith would be departing the series following his second season, saying:

“Matt will be sticking around.

“I think those rumours were made up.”

It’s short, it’s sweet, it’s to the point, and it puts to rest any fears of yet another bout of New Doctor Anxiety in the near future similar to what we suffered for the whole of 2009.

Smith and Gillan have been working on the set of the Christmas special lately, along with Katherine Jenkins, Michael Gambon, and presumably Arthur Darvill (unfortunately, very little news of Rory being in the special has surfaced, although Steven Moffat has mentioned the word “honeymoon” when teasing the plot of the episode).

(Via Digital Spy)

Is Smith a Baker, or a Baker?

Now that we once again have no clue how long we’ll get to keep Matt Smith, for how much time do you think he’ll don the bow tie?  Will he have the long-lived reign of the Fourth Doctor, or the one of the cut-short stints of the Sixth, Eighth, and Ninth?  Or will he be somewhere in the middle?  The comment thread below is a useful place for communicating these thoughts!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Patrick is a temporal hitchhiker who spends most of his time in the future. His favourite Doctor is the Fourteenth. If you're especially lucky, you might even hear him tweet to all you merry folk in the past @10PatrickRiley.

8 Responses to Gillan: Matt Smith’s Not Leaving

1. Chad Moore says:

Thank goodness for that! Matt Smith is AMAZING, and I hope he keeps playing the Doctor for a long, long time.

2. Andrew says:

Thanks Karen!

3. 23skidoo says:

I hate to say it, but I think too much is being read into what is basically just a very brief soundbite. We really won’t know until the BBC announces something, probably next spring. Remember there were also media reports that Tennant would return for Series 5, too. My gut tells me it’s doubtful that Smith would bolt after only two seasons. I don’t see him as a Tom Baker, nor a Colin Baker. I think he’ll follow the path of his admitted favorite Doctor, Patrick Troughton, and go for three seasons.

A more relevant question is whether Karen Gillan will be staying on after her second season, since we haven’t seen a companion go into a third season since Tegan.

4. Rick714 says:

Remember that Smith is under contract for 3 years with an option for two more. If I had to guess, I’d say that he’ll be for at least four years but there are several factors, such as:

***Moffat’s grand scheme with The Doctor and River for one thing. To really explore their relationship, I’d think they’d need two full seasons together as Doctor and companion and then as a married couple. For her to be as important as she will be in his life, she can’t just be around for one season. So I’m guessing that she shows up and joins the cast sometime next season and Amy and Rory leave at the end of next season, giving the Doctor and River the next two seasons to explore their relationship. Smith’s fourth year would be the 50th anniversary as well. :) What bigger anniversary could there be than the marriage of the Doctor?

***Then you have that annoying fifth year of specials. See, I can’t believe they’d have him regenerate at the end of his fourth season because then the new guy would be stuck with that dead year. That’s no way to start off number 12. No, I’m thinking that it’s likely that the fifth year would end his contract and maybe be the honeymoon year for him and River. So I’m saying he’ll be there for a whopping 5 years total.

***Yes, I seem to be pinning a lot of River Song being heavily involved in the doctor’s life but we know it’ll happen eventually. Somehow, I don’t see Moffat letting someone else write out that relationship somewhere down the line. It’s Steven’s baby and I see him seeing it through.

*** Note, as far as screen time, doing the four full seasons Xmas specials and the year of specials, he’d be close to moving into third place behind Tom Baker and William Hartnell.

5. IanOTimelord says:

I am glad that it seems Matt Smith his staying, I really like his Doctor.
    But as for how long that will depend if we get series 7. aka as Season 33.

6. Bow Ties Are Cool says:

Just want to point out, Tennant said that Billie Piper would be “sticking around” just before series 2 started. Look how that worked out.

7. Paul Cavanagh says:

Thing is, Billie and Rose did stick around didn’t they? Rose was a feature throughout Series 4, even if she didn’t show up properly until Episode 11, Turn Left.

Thankfully, Matt has already been with us for far longer than the Eighth Doctor! There’s no way I’m going to try and second guess Matt, but I hope he’s with us for a good while yet.

Rik – I like your thinking, but I do wonder just how much of the Doctor and River’s relationship we’ll actually get to see. In practical terms, can Alex Kingston afford the time, and can the show afford her time? Certainly a Romana-esque companion would be good for the show. If it worked for the Fourth Doctor, it could certainly work for the Eleventh.

8. bluebox444 says:

I imagine Smith will probably do at least three years. He’s a young actor with more time to spare than rising stars like David Tennant. From what we’ve seen so far, I think Moffat is planning to have River Song be involved in the Eleventh Doctor’s regeneration somehow (providing that he turns out to be “the best man she ever knew” whom she kills). Thus, I don’t think that all the loose ends involving River are going to be tied up next year. Which will be nice, since the mystery surrounding her character is one of the things that makes her so enchanting.