Doctor Who News no image

Published on July 23rd, 2010 | by Patrick Riley

Geronimerica! And Everywhere Else!

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games, City of the Daleks

Fantastic news for international Whovians – Doctor Who: The Adventure Games is now available to everyone who isn’t on the British Isles!

Head over to IGN’s Direct2Drive website and you’ll find that the price of the bundle – which includes both City of the Daleks and Blood of the Cybermen, has been slashed, at least temporarily, from the Joystiq-reported $4.95 (£3.24, for the curious British) to a mere $3.70 (£2.42)!  At $1.85 (£1.21) per game (though they are not sold separately), we’re looking at a pretty good deal here!  While they’re not free, for those of us who don’t pay the ultimately-more-expensive license fee, the pair’s listing of less than two dollars an episode is not bad at all!

One possible catch might be the price of future installments.  The Direct2Drive listing of the bundle essentially suggests that City of the Daleks comes free with every purchase of the package of two, meaning you’d just be paying for Blood of the Cybermen.  Bump the price back up to $4.95, and assume the 3rd and 4th titles will be released individually, and we’re looking at a potential $10 total cost of the rest of the series.

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games - Blood of the CybermenIt’s still not bad, when you consider the price of other game series with an episodic format.  The long-running franchise Sam and Max, for example, goes for $9 per episode on Steam (a service that the the makers of The Adventure Games should seriously consider if they want to further-expand their audience and collect more cash).

The other, less speculative catch applies to the Mac users who aren’t in the UK; specifically, if you fit that category, you can’t play it.  This could lead to a somewhat disgruntled contributor named Patrick Riley annoyed with the fact that he is a foreign Apple-thumper.  If you’re like me, hold your questions – Joystiq is attempting to contact the staff of Direct2Drive with inquiries about the Mac Adventure Games and we’re doing the same.  I think it’s time to play the space-watching game.

But enough of all the gloom!  If you’re not in Britain and are a PC user, it’s time to celebrate with a few jolly rounds of sans-violence Cyber-smashing and Dalekstermination!  Get your games here!

If you’re still undecided as to whether you’d like to spend your money on these, have a look at the Kasterborous reviews of City of the Daleks and Blood of the Cybermen.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Patrick is a temporal hitchhiker who spends most of his time in the future. His favourite Doctor is the Fourteenth. If you're especially lucky, you might even hear him tweet to all you merry folk in the past @10PatrickRiley.

10 Responses to Geronimerica! And Everywhere Else!

1. Laz says:

I’ve been trying to get to that page all day, but it keeps redirecting me to a “no product” page. Does that work only in the US? (I’m in Italy… but it should work everywhere but the UK, shouldn’t it?)

2. Patrick Riley says:

The Direct2Drive page says, and I quote

“This product is available for purchase everywhere but the UK.”

However, I was unable to totally confirm this myself because I’m based in the US. If there are any other readers who aren’t in the UK or the US who can back up what either Laz or Direct2Drive is saying, drop me a line at patrick@kasterborous.com or just comment here, and we’ll have the article updated if more people are having trouble accessing the page.

3. 23skidoo says:

Hopefully you’ll get a better response than DWIN and a few other Doctor Who sites who contacted D2D and were either told they had no idea a Mac version existed (apparently one guy had to provide a copy of the BBC press release as proof), and then they were told “we will not be releasing the Mac version”.

Perhaps the best service this site and others can provide is to print the e-mail address of D2D so folks who are affected by this can make their feelings be heard. The D2D website is not very user friendly with regards to finding links for feedback e-mails.

As for Patrick’s question, I’m in Canada but as they haven’t given the Mac version I haven’t bothered trying to order the games. And probably won’t now by the sounds of things.

It has occurred to me that a possible reason for the Mac discrimination could have something to do with DRM. I read the FAQ at D2D and it looks like the games might be tied into something of that nature. If so (and I’m just speculating) it’s possible it’s not compatible with Mac. Which of course doesn’t excuse the fact a good chunk of DW’s fanbase won’t be able to get the games. (And yes I know those with high-end Macs can always use Bootcamp, but not everyone has access to high-end Macs or want to sully their desktop with XP or Visa! lol )

4. My hope had been that with the release of Steam for Mac a few months back, the whole “Macs don’t do games” setback would be gone forever and every developer in the universe would release every game ever made for Mac! ;) But I suppose it’s going to take a little more time before more people begin to realize that Macs can do games now.

But seriously, they DIDN’T KNOW there was a Mac version? That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m still waiting to hear back from the D2D/IGN folks myself, and I’ll give you (or politely ask and offer cookies to someone else on the news team to give you, if I can’t) an update as soon as they reply!

5. Laz says:

I have now written to the D2D support. We’ll see what they’ll answer!

6. Laz says:

Okay, they’ve solved it.

Or, better, they’ve explained me what to do: since the game is only available on their US site (to anyone, but only on that site, not the .eu or .co.uk ones), the first thing to do is switch homepage to the .com address with the link on the top right (or going directly here: http://www.direct2drive.com/?no-redir=1) and then the original link will work (or you can just click on the DW thumbnail you’ll find there). I guess it probabily is that “no-redir” parameter that fixes it.

Anyway… I just bought the games! :D

7. Excellent, Laz! Thanks for the tip, and enjoy the interactive bow tie extravaganza!

8. 23skidoo says:

A few Windows elitists on another forum flamed me for complaining about the lack of Mac availability. I should add to my above comments the fact that had this game not been made available for Mac at all, I wouldn’t have been surprised or overly upset. Disappointed a little, maybe, but as a Mac user I’m used to the discrimination. What annoys me is there IS a Mac version, so there is no logical reason why Direct 2 Drive shouldn’t offer the files. Unless, as I say above, DRM is the issue.

9. Agreed. If there simply had been no Mac version, I’d be fine with it. But since there is, and until the other day I had every reason to believe I’d get to play it, I’m pretty disappointed.

10. 23skidoo says:

Direct to Drive is definitely out of my good books. I asked them when the Mac version would be made available and they have literally ignored my question. I just got an automatic ticket response saying that since I hadn’t sent them a reply in 8 days they were closing the issue as resolved. I DID REPLY — I sent them back the question! Idiots.

Question: Is anyone actually letting Sumo and the Doctor Who people know about this when they host events like that thing in Nottingham the other day? (I’ll ask this question under that news item, too, as it’s a bit more timely.)