Featuring fan favourite Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, this new collection follows the Doctorâ€™s battles with the sinister Cybermen. Packed with extras, and containing two classic adventures, Silver Nemesis and Revenge of the Cybermen, Doctor Who: Cybermen Box Set will be available on DVD from 9th August, priced Â£29.99.
Silver Nemesis begins in 1988 on 23rd November. Lady Peinforte and her loyal servant Richard have travelled from the year 1638 for this moment. Herr de Flores’ dreams of establishing the Fourth Reich rest on this point in time. The Cybermen’s planned invasion of Earth is scheduled for the same time.
The link between the three? The statue Nemesis, fashioned from validium – the living metal first made by Rassilon on Gallifrey and capable of bestowing the power of life and death on any individual. Can the Doctor and Ace prevent its awesome power from falling into any of their evil hands?
In Revenge of the Cybermen, the Doctor, Sarah and Harry arrives on the Nerva Beacon, hoping to find the TARDIS waiting for them, instead the intrepid trio find a space station in the grip of a deadly plague that has wiped out most of its crew. But the Doctor soon comes to suspect that the ‘plague’ is no natural illness â€“ and that some of his oldest and most fearsome foes are behind it…
The beacon has been set up to warn space traffic of a new satellite orbiting Jupiter, but one craft is taking no notice of the order to stay clear â€“ a Cybership. The satellite is Voga, Planet of Gold, home to the seemingly harmless Vogans â€“ but why are the Cybermen so determined to destroy it?
Without the TARDIS, the Doctor is unable to return Sarah and Harry to the 20th Century. But then Sarah falls victim to the mystery virus, and unless the Doctor can find a cure â€“ quickly â€“ she will never make it home at all…
- Commentary with actors Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, director Chris Clough and script editor Andrew Cartmel.
- Industrial Action – cast and crew look back at the making of this story. With actors Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Gerard Murphy, director Chris Clough, writer Kevin Clarke, script editor Andrew Cartmel, stunt arranger Nick Gillard and musician Courtney Pine.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes.
- Trails and Continuity - BBC1 trails and continuity announcements from the story’s original transmission.
- Photo Gallery
- Commentary with actors Elisabeth Sladen and David Collings, producer Philip Hinchcliffe.
- The Tin Man and the Witch - a look back at the making of the story, with director Michael E. Briant, incoming producer Philip Hinchcliffe and outgoing producer Barry Letts.
- Location Report – New Doctor Tom Baker is interviewed by BBC News on location at Wookey Hole during the location shoot for the story.
- Cheques, Lies and Videotape – in the days before official VHS and DVD releases, Doctor Who fans had no option but to swap and trade episodes with other fans, often for extortionate sums of money. Featuring interviews with fans Jamie Wells, Paul Jones, Dave Hankinson, David Palfreyman, Alison Lawson and Damian Shanahan.
- Photo Gallery.
Released on August 9th, 2010, the Doctor Who: Cybermen DVD boxset has an RRP of Â£29.99 – but you can preorder now from Amazon for just Â£17.99!
We’ll have a review of this release in the next few weeks – in the meantime, head on over to Outpost Skaro who have reviewed it already…