Doctor Who News no image

Published on June 21st, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

Web Talk is “Strange”

Doctor Who star Karen GillanKaren Gillan has spoke recently about looking at comments about Amy Pond and her performance in Doctor Who – and experience she found “strange”.

Gillan first appeared as Pond in The Eleventh Hour back in March – and has been hailed both as “brilliant” and “not Billie Piper/Catherine Tate” by fans.

Peronally I think she’s been great; I’ve never seen a girl pull so many faces…

Anyway, it seems the Ms Pond actress booted up a PC or laptop and visited a forum such as the one found at www.kasterborous.com or GallifreyBase.

“I couldn’t resist having a look online to see what people thought of me as Amy,” she said. “Although after a while it all got a bit strange seeing people talk about me. So I had to stop and I haven’t looked since.”

“It’s just great to know there are loads of people that are interested in the show and care about it.”

And we care about it just a bit more now that you’re involved, Karen.

(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Web Talk is “Strange”

1. Rick714 says:

It’s for the best that she doesn’t look back. What we say really shouldn’t matter one bit. She just has to do what she does to the best of her ability and she shouldn’t really be concerned with our chattering. I remember Helen Raynor being very upset with online sniping about her Daleks in Manhattan story and RTD was quite angry about it at the time. He had to convince her to ignore all that nonsense because there will ALWAYS be someone bitching about something online. The credo to always remember:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time…

…but you can never please an on-line fan.”

2. Leosw4 says:

Unfortunately GB has turned into little more than a bear pit and once the current series ends I am going to pass on it for a while.Its now at the same level of DS in terms of the 2010 forums.
    The behaviour of some of the younger forum members (15/16 yesr olds) is jaw dropping and out of control. Older members seem to be feeling isolated. I just cant be bothered.

3. castellanspandrell says:

The title of the new Dead Weather album:

Sea of Cowards.

It refers to the Internet and it’s apt.

It’s easy to snipe at someone from behind an online identity, knowing that there’ll be no comeback, and it’s easy to treat people as objects that way, too.

That’s why we’re all guilty of it at some time or other!

4. Patrick Riley says:

Still, so long as she somehow ignores the threads about her, wouldn’t it be something if we could all convince Karen to become an active member of the K forum? I know I’d be excited!

5. castellanspandrell says:

Leosw4, hopefully you’re finding the Kasterborous forum more easy-going than on GB. :)

6. 23skidoo says:

I remember reading in The Writers Tale how one of the DW scriptwriters was affected rather negatively by reading what people had to say about her work on one of the forums, while I think Tennant said something similar and gave it up. It’s rather sad, but the forums can be a pretty cruel place, so hopefully Karen got more positive than negative from the experience. The forums aren’t all bad — Zachary Quinto said he was inspired to try out for the role of Spock after reading a fan forum discussion about his work on Heroes. I remember being among the early proponents of “Quinto as Spock” so I can only hope I played a small role in that!

7. Hello, Karen!