Doctor Who News no image

Published on April 13th, 2010 | by Mick Karma

New Look Daleks

The design of the new-look Daleks has been released as part of the new Radio Times cover – and it is a bit of a departure for the classic Doctor Who villains.

New Dalek in Doctor WhoA surprise redesign of the Daleks to herald the new era, this move echoes the last redesign of the fascist monsters from Skaro and while unusual on first glance it is a striking move by new series boss Steven Moffat. The Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) will be encountering the Daleks this weekend – both the “khaki tank” traditional model and this new model look set to appear in Victory of the Daleks.

While previous redesigns have seen minor alterations to eyestalk, headlamps and the sucker attachment (not to mention the odd change of weapon) this is the most radical overhaul since 2005 when the Daleks were increased in size and given suitably larger features.

As you can see from this image, the new Dalek has a higher skirt section, a new eyepiece and a bulkier mid-section.

Most interestingly it features an alteration to the skirt section as well – an area that has previously remained largely untouched by redesigns.

More alien or more plastic? That’s the question, and opinion here at Kasterborous Towers is firmly split right down the middle.

So – what do you think? Let is know in the comments below!

Tags: , , , ,

Mick has been writing on and off for Kasterborous since 2006, and when he's not attempting self sufficiency he writes the songs that no one hears (because they are not listening). Currently working on a comic book, Nazis vs Aliens, which requires an artist. Please email atomickarma@hotmail.com to discuss.

9 Responses to New Look Daleks

1. avatar castellanspandrell says:

Is it wearing a gastric band?

2. avatar chappas72 says:

We have new cybermen, silurians and now new daleks bring it on can’t wait to see what they can do ;)

3. avatar IanOTimelord says:

No no no! This is completely wrong. When the show came back the Daleks were updated to look more of a mean killing machine, and they do look great.
    These look like one of the old Dalek toys. I hope this is a supreme Dalek or just a one off. Besides how could they afford to build new Daleks with the budget cuts.

4. avatar Christian Cawley says:

@IanOTimelord

There is a 5% saving applied across the board to BBC drama to combat inflation and force producers to choose more competitive prices from contractors (costume, visual FX and modelwork, CGI in the case of DW) but this can’t really be described as a budget cut, more a means of combating inflation which can be devastating for TV production.

5. avatar Maxtible Crust says:

The most striking thing on first viewing is the large mid section which initially doesn’t look too easy on the eye, other than that I think it looks fantastic. Looking at the Radio Times covers with the blue, yellow and red variations reminds me of the Daleks from the first Peter Cushing film…with a touch of middle age spread.

6. avatar grufaine says:

It seems a bit more rubber than plastic to me. Maybe they’re working on “bumper-dalek” toys? Or a bumper-dalek theme ride?

I think I could get used to it pretty easily, though. It doesn’t really bother me too much. It’s still pretty recognizable as a dalek and as long as it keeps the monotone dalek-voice I’ll be happy. =]

7. avatar IanOTimelord says:

Thanks Christian for pointing that out to me, I guess this election stuff is gone to me head with this talk about cuts.

Still hoping they are a one off.

8. avatar free4 says:

Terrible design all balance of the original design has been tweaked the wrong way. Base too large for the top, middle section far too big and skirt too close to bumper. All in all it’s lost the angles of the original which were just right, how on earth it was passed I don’t know. When the original revamp was done it was based on an original design and kept pretty much all the angles which just look right, this looks like a plastic toy which was badly designed. The reason the original worked was it look right this does not, and i’m not saying this because it is new I liked the original revamp which kept the main angles and shapes. It reminds me of a plastic toy dalek I had in the sixties. This is rubbish which will spoil a promising story.

9. avatar Christian Cawley says:

I think its really too early to make a decision – we need to see the new Dalek in action!

I’m liking it though, particularly the head section and the bulky skirt. Not totally sold on the midsection at this point but I’m happy to be impressed :)