Everyone seems to be going a little bit bonkers over the new series of Torchwood – and while some of this can be attributed to the lack of a full Doctor Who series, Children of Earth seems to be attracting a lot of interest from non-fans of the series.
1. Children Of Earth has a slightly terrifying premise: all of the children in the world stop dead at exactly the same moment and begin uttering the message “We are coming.” All of them. And all in English, too.
2. The “we” is revealed to be an alien race dubbed The 456, not heard from in over 40 years.
3. In addition to the children, there is one other person reciting the message – a psychiatric patient named Timothy White. What connection does this have to an incident in Scotland in 1965?
4. Captain Jack and Ianto are referred to as “a couple” on more than one occasion.
5. As the episode begins, Rhys is looking at new houses for him and Gwen. But by the end of the episode, she has a very large secret she needs to share with him.
6. Both Owen and Tosh make appearances.
7. We meet Ianto’s sister, nephew and niece. How will he respond to confirmed sightings of him on a dinner date with a man?
8. We also meet Captain Jack’s…. daughter. Yes, daughter.
9. By the end of the episode, both Jack and Gwen have something inside them. Both items will change their worlds forever.
10. The ending to the first episode is probably one of the most compelling cliffhangers the Whoniverse has ever seen.
It all sounds marvellous – and if you’re yet to be convinced and don’t mind a few spoilers, Digital Spy also have a summary review of the first three episodes, Day One, Day Two, Day Three.